Think my chicks have a cold....Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dangeralley, Apr 8, 2009.

1. dangeralley

dangeralley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    Richmond, KY
    Okay my chicks have been Sneezing, and one died last night (my mystery chick) Is it to cold for them, there about 8-9 weeks old. What meds do I need? Thanks

rebecca

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    You can try VetRx. Follow direction on bottle. You can get it at most feed stores. Switch to antibiotics (terramycin) if this doesn't seem to help in a couple of weeks.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

What is the air temperature? Be sure they are in a draft-free zone.

You may need your brooder lamp again, allow them to move into the heat zone or out, as they indicate.

Do you have electrolytes?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  4. dangeralley

Mar 26, 2009
    Richmond, KY
    we just got some meds....Hopefully that will help them.

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

How are things?

6. dangeralley

Mar 26, 2009
    Richmond, KY
    Quote:One died....[​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I really am against throwing antibiotics at chickens when you hear a sneeze. You have no idea what you are treating, if anything at all. Sneezing can be environmental and the death may not be related to that. Antibiotics do NOTHING at all for anything viral and only create antibiotic resistance. You will weaken your entire flock by treating respiratory illness. Plus, you have to know that many viruses they get are herpes type...yes, they are permanent, even if the bird seems to recover. We have to stop this insane antibiotic party or we will create lots of super-germs. I will never treat respiratory illness in my flock if it ever happens. I want birds with healthy immune systems, not ones that come down with some crud every three or four months. This is the time to think about these things and what you really want out of your flock. Isolate, observe, provide supportive care, but don't treat with antibiotics, is my recommendation.

And VetRx is not a medication, per se. It's Vick VapoRub for birds, is all.

Be sure they are in a draft free place. My six week olds are in a coop with high ceilings and lots of ventilation, but no drafts at their level. Yours should be okay at this age.

Chickens do not get the common head cold like humans do.

8. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I agree that you would not want to give antibiotics everytime your chickens show a symptom but giving anitbiotics when nothing else has helped will not hurt and not cause a resistance by doing it just one time. I dealt with 2 of my hens sneezing and congested for several weeks trying everything including VetRx first. It wasn't until I tried a round of antibiotics that I got it cured.
    Just like deworming does not hurt them if they don't have worms. But when dealing with certain symtoms (if you are not going to take them to the vet for a diagnosis, as alot of people do not) I think trying things can't hurt.
    As long as it is done in moderation like many things, it can't hurt and may help in the long run. Having worked as an animal health tech. for many years, this is how I take care of my flock.

9. dangeralley

Mar 26, 2009
    Richmond, KY
    they also had coop in there eyes. Were gonna give it to them 1 once and hopefully that will work. I don't want to treat them all the time.

10. dangeralley

Mar 26, 2009
    Richmond, KY
    can we still eat the eggs and/or meat?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by