1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Think my chicks may be sick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KatsCountryCritters, Mar 30, 2012.

1. KatsCountryCritters

KatsCountryCritters Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    So I bought my first chickens yesterday! I've been waiting for years! I purchased 6 bantams. Think is only 2 of them are eating and only what is in between the wood chips. They are not moving around like they were in the store. I have them in a guinea pig cage with a 100 watt brooder light. I think it got too cold in the bathroom where they are. They just huddled together all afternoon and night. One is hardly moving at all. She's the smallest of them all. I only see 1 poop in there, but nothing stuck to their butts. Any suggestions? I put a room heater into the bathroom to raise the temp and a towel on the cage to make sure they aren't getting a draft from it. Do you think they'll feel more frisky as the temp rises?

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Yes they likely will. If not then they could well be sick. You can give them some poly vi sol without iron or some electrolyte mix from the feed store, in their water, that might give them a boost.

3. KatsCountryCritters

KatsCountryCritters Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Aw nuts. My little one died today. All the others are running around chirping and eating and drinking. They all love boiled egg! The little one wouldn't eat or drink. Thankfully my children aren't too upset about it. It is what happens in the world of chickens. Now I just have to figure out what breed I have! I got a mix of bantams from a local tractor supply. One is a beautiful grey with feathered feet! But I just found out today that they came from a straight run, so they may not all be hens! Oh no!

4. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    The wattage of the heat lamp does not matter. What is important is the temperature. Check the temperature with a thermometer. It should between 90 - 95 degrees since they are less than a week old. The temperature should be checked under the heat lamp at the level of the chicks. Also watch the actions of the chicks. If they are huddling under the heat lamp they are cold. If they are staying away from it and away from each other than it is probably too hot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by