1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Think my EE might be a rooster?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by christybmom9802, Jan 31, 2013.

1. christybmom9802

christybmom9802 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2012
    Chesterton, Indiana
    Bought 13 sexed chickens and am thinking 1 of my EE is a rooster. They are only 7 wks old but this one keeps charging at the rest of the chickens and raises it's neck feathers and I'm seeing saddle feathers I think. Opinions?![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    If she wasn't drinking I would think this looks like a cock a doodle do picture :)

here are pics of my other EE that I'm pretty sure is a girl but she came from same shipment

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any opinions?

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Comb color has been my best bet so far in telling males from females. A young female's comb will be peach colored almost, but a male's will be red almost from the start...so if it has red on it's face it is usually a boy.

3. questions543

questions543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    From the pictures I think it is a girl! No red bleading on the wings. I don't see any hackle/saddle feathers in the pictures. Comb looks female. Feet look female. Everything makes me think female :p

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    black and whites do not have any other color on them and saddle and hackle feathers dont show gender till the chick is 13+ weeks of age...the solid patches of white on the wings makes me lean more towards a cockerel at this point in time

5. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    If the comb is peach colored then it's a pullet...if it is red or pink it is a cockerel. I dont' see anything that makes me think roo...but the feet and carriage are another good way to tell...If all your chickens have little stick feet and then one has big thick trunks for legs it is a rooster. So dainty feet = pullet.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    with EE's this is far from being true. with ee's you have to go by their over all coloring...if this was true then my 2 laying pullets should not be laying but crowing...you can not go by leg size either as all my pullets have had larger legs than the cockerels did up to a certain point and by that time they were 6-8 months of age...https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/is-my-chicken-a-pullet-hen-or-a-cockerel-cock

7. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Aw well it is all just guessing for me then. So far my barnyard mixes are easily sexable by their comb color.

8. christybmom9802

christybmom9802 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2012
    Chesterton, Indiana
    Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by