Think my new chick may have a prob...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amynbrent, Jan 26, 2012.

1. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    My chick hatched in the middle of the night. I have only hatched a few in an incubator in the year that I've had chickens. This little one I think has something wrong with it. He is acting 100% fine but when I picked him up I noticed something on his little butt right below to be exact...his butt hole. It's a little hard, reddish and also blackish. I've never saw this on any others. It's not poop stuck to his fluff. Is it where he was attached? I'm sorry I'm clueless...he is the first blonde one I've hatched the others have been black so it may have been there but I never noticed. I tried to tak a pic but it doesnt show well.

Thanks!

2. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    It sound slike the equivalent of a newborn human's belly button stump. Yes, that's where they attach. Leave it alone, let it dry up and fall off. If you pick at it the baby chick can bleed to death. Sound sliek your chicky is going to be a-ok!!

[​IMG]

3. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    Thanks...i figured that was what it was but had to make sure. Like I said he is my first blonde one so it shows. I had a black one hatch two days ago so I checked him and sure enough he has one too but you cant see it just feel it. Whew. I worked so hard for my two little chicks...out of 20 set only 2 made it!!

4. Delilah1337

Delilah1337 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Spirit Lake, Idaho
    I had the same thing happen to me this week with my hatch (Buff Orpington/Salmon Favorelle cross). I do believe it is part of their umbilical cord, mine went away once the chick dried off. I have a picture of what mine looked like right after it hatched it you want to take a look, its grapic but I do believe we had the same thing. My little girls seem to be just fine, they are a couple days old now and no issue whatsoever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by