Think My Phoenix has Gone Broody!?!?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by animalspooker, Mar 10, 2014.

1. animalspooker

animalspooker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2014
    I believe it has happened. She's was on the nest all day yesterday, and again last night when I went to check on them. She was on it this morning too. NOW WHAT?

It was pretty nice yesterday (high 50) but it got down to 25 last night. Supposed to start warming up gradually. I assume they'll be hatching here in about 3 weeks, if I can believe everything I read. They all free range during the day, but she lives in a coop with an Easter Egger, three banty hens and banty rooster and a MEAN Pheonix Roo. What happens if they do hatch. Will she take care of them? Do I need to build them a warm environment? Do I need to separate them from the rest of the flock? Need advice!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  2. forgetful

forgetful Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    She'll keep them warm, so don't worry about that. Mother hens are usually very protective of their babies, but I'd watch for the first few days and see if she can protect them from everyone. If she can't, maybe separating them would be practical. They don't need anything special to live in compared to the others.

3. animalspooker

Jan 7, 2014
    This morning, I went out to check on her and the brown cochin was in the nest...almost on top of Phoe trying to lay....I think. Theres another nesting box right next to the one she's in, but they do like this one best. Are the eggs in any danger from this?`

4. forgetful

Mar 30, 2013
    The eggs can get cracked from the hens fighting for a better spot in the nest box.

5. animalspooker

Jan 7, 2014
    Tried to gently 'nudge' the cochin out of the nest. She pecked me. In closer observation, I noticed that the nesting box next to the Phoenix's was a little straw bare. Added some straw to it, so maybe this will help.

6. animalspooker

Jan 7, 2014
    Never mind about the cochin moving in on my phoenix's nest. She's flat out sharing it. She's gone broody too. My Phoenix male is mean as all get out...especially to me and my 7yo daughter. Will 'removing' him from the flock be harmful at all to the broody hens? I don't want to change the environment for them if it could be unhealthy. One more thing, the two of them are sitting on a grand total of 3 eggs. I was hoping for 5 or six...each.

7. forgetful

Mar 30, 2013
    I'd be careful about the hens fighting over newly hatched chicks and accidentally killing them. I had a pair do that. Rehoming the rooster won't affect them. I personally find it a good move

8. animalspooker

Jan 7, 2014
    So what do I do about my hens? I'm about to relocate the rooster to the freezer!

9. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    When my hen went broody last year I waited a few days to make sure she was good and broody then went out at about 10pm and moved her to a secluded box all by herself where none of the others could bother her...

Can you separate the two broodies? at the very least because they are sitting on only three eggs I would be tempted to break one of them.

10. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Oh and yes, the roo would be freezer meat in this house.... I would never put up with a mean animal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by