Think My Roo Tryed To Crow

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by countrygirl911, Aug 1, 2010.

1. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    Hi i have a roo will i think it is a roo that was making this horiable sound earlier today it almosted sounded like it was a horn honking. like the horn on a very old truck it was very deep sounding and got louder whne my DH went to pick him up could this be he is tring to crow my girls make like a growing sound more of the hen sound but not found their complete voices yet here is a pic of the chick i believe is a roo he is about 13 to 14 weeks old the other RIR and BR are the same age as he is

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also one last question he seems to puff out his neck feathers which are very pointy why does he do that

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

All chickens will flare their neck feathers - it's a challenge. It makes them look bigger, tougher. Even pullets/hens will do that, when establishing and maintaining the flock pecking order.

And "baby crowing" is so... cute... they sound so inadequate at first! Like old time horns on Model Ts.

3. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    oh my thank you i thought i was losing my mind lol i so wanted to hear him crow but when i would be around he would make a clucking sound until today when DH tryed to pick him up and your right sounded like a horn on a Model T i Knew what it sounded like but you nailed it on the head with what kind of truck i was talking about glad i got to hear it was so excited when do they get better at it also why does my hens expecially one of the BR sound like they are growling it that them trying to get their little voices

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Aren't they cute? My baby 2 1/2 month old Jaerhon started crowing a few days ago and it DOES sound just like a car horn.

5. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    they are way to cute DH just said he was making a racked because he was picking him up but i said no that was a baby crow all he could do is roll his eyes lol i love it when my sweet chicks to something that is adoriable i could sit and watch them all day

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    The best part is that they are SO proud of themselves when they first learn to crow. My baby is so bad, all of my other roosters sound the alarm call when he crows. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by