1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Think she needs antibiotics?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lady Grey, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Lady Grey

Lady Grey Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2015
    Northwest Oregon
    One of my runner girls, Andromeda, scraped her knee a few days ago. I didn't notice at first, so by the time I started caring for it, it was already hot and a bit swollen. I have been using triple antibiotic, drawing salve, tea tree oil, and blu-kote topically, and colloidal silver internally. In spite of these measure, the swelling is not diminishing, and the heat seems to be traveling up her leg.

Is it time for antibiotics? If so, how should we administer them? Orally? By injection? How do you inject something with feathers, anyway?? Which antibiotic should we use? We have Pen G and LA-200. I'll try to post a picture of her injury tomorrow when it's light.

Thanks!

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi,

I would imagine that antibiotics would be a good bet right now. Sorry, i don't live in the US, so can't offer advice on what specific one to buy, but a broad spectrum one should do the job. I administer them by adding to drinking water, so you will have to isolate her whilst she is on them.

Good luck

CT

3. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    A picture would be good.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by