think that my girl has ascites UPDATE!! CHICKEN BETTER

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl, May 16, 2011.

1. ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl

ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    Pinnacle, NC
    My chicken's belly is swollen. she has been like this for a couple of days. I have read that she might be egg blocked so I did as was told and stuck my finger in her vent. I didnt feel anything hard.. her organs felt lose i guess but when I pulled out my finger and there was a blood clot on the end. then she started panting... i dont know what to do!! Her belly is really really red. is this something my other chickens can catch??? can I do anything PLEASE HELP!![​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl

Nov 10, 2009
    Pinnacle, NC
    Please Help Me!!

3. lanie8

lanie8 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    I'm not sure,but when you say egg stuck do you mean eggbound? I heard that if a hen is eggbound you can put her in warm water and rub her abdomen.If your not sure if shes eggbound then i would just put her in warm water.I've only had chicks for a few weeks never hens,but i've read post in the past about people having eggbound hens and thats what they did.Ireally hope thatI helped ,and if notI hope someone does,keep me posted.

4. ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl

Nov 10, 2009
    Pinnacle, NC
    I think she has ascetics!! i dont know what to do!! i cant take her to a vet but i want to know thats what she has before I do it! i mean her belly feels like a balloon!! and when i stuck my finger in her vent it felt like i was movine my finger around in air like there was nothing there.

5. lanie8

May 15, 2011
    What Ascetics? Keep me posted,I want to help the best I can!!! so so sorry!!

6. Chido

Chido Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    El Monte
  7. ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl

Nov 10, 2009
    Pinnacle, NC
    DO I NEED TO DRAIN HER OR WHAT??? I can get a needle tomorrow if i need to drain the fluid just wanting to know what i have to do!!

8. lanie8

May 15, 2011
    I'm so sorry,but at this point i don't know what to do. If you tell me to look up somin on the internet to figure out how to drain then i gladly
    will! I will try to help you in any way i can, best of luck lanie8

9. ACraZyLittLeChiCkenGirl

Nov 10, 2009
    Pinnacle, NC
    thanks!! ive looked up everything I know too do!! i just want to help her!![​IMG] she is panting. i put her in her nest full of straw and she just closed her eyes and panted. hoped that it would lighten up but I cant get anything until tomorrow!! I hate to see something happen to her she is one of my best hens! I love EMMA!! [​IMG]

10. lanie8

May 15, 2011
    So hapy that you figured out what to do .Keep me up to date.hopfuly next time we talk it will be more happy!! how long have you had chickens ?Lanie8

Last edited: May 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by