Think the brooder was too warm. Chicks not feathering like the last ones.

Nimueh Alene

Songster
7 Years
Apr 9, 2017
Sebastian county Arkansas
My chicks will be 4week old the 26 and they are slow to feather out. Think the brooder was too warm for the most part . Can I just turn off the heat lamp?The house is plenty warm. .Or should I go to 60 watt bulb? Do they look like they are at the right stage for their age .
I have 3 one week old replacement Chicks that I can brood separately if needed. Oh, and Freebie my duckling is in there too age 2 weeks. Really hoping I don't have a bunch of slower feathering cockerels...
IMG_20180317_202501.jpg
IMG_20180317_202509.jpg

I don’t think you should ever turn off the heat lamp unless you have other sources of heat such as a heating pad underneath, but that’s difficult to clean. What I did and am doing right now with my chicks is during the day times, the light stays off, but I have a heater blowing towards the brooder, and that works just fine. Then, at night, I turn the light back on.

On the contrary, it looks like you have a bunch a pullets, as well as a female duck. Is Freebie a golden 300 hybrid layer duck? I've never heard of having a heat lamb to hot, I mean you don't want it blazing, but I think your chicks feathers are growing just fine. Good luck with raising your happy little bunch.

On the contrary, it looks like you have a bunch a pullets, as well as a female duck. Is Freebie a golden 300 hybrid layer duck? I've never heard of having a heat lamb to hot, I mean you don't want it blazing, but I think your chicks feathers are growing just fine. Good luck with raising your happy little bunch.
Freebie is a golden 300. I have Magpies that she'll live with eventually.. The chicks my bantam hen raised was fully feathered at 4 weeks.. So I looked on internet and it said if brooder was too warm it delayed feathering. They are OK than.

I don’t think you should ever turn off the heat lamp unless you have other sources of heat such as a heating pad underneath, but that’s difficult to clean. What I did and am doing right now with my chicks is during the day times, the light stays off, but I have a heater blowing towards the brooder, and that works just fine. Then, at night, I turn the light back on.
I'll try that thank you...

I've always gone by the 5 degrees a week school of thought, measure under heat source for a 100 degrees out of the incubator then raise heat source enough to lower 5 degrees a week until you reach ambient tempature.... in 4 weeks you would be at 80 directly beneath heat. I use a ceramic reptile heater and have a light on a timer so they are not subject to light 24hrs a day. Works well for me and they feather out pretty quick.

They look super healthy ..well done you!
they will feather slower in the Brooder than outdoor raised by mom in my experience.
I gradually reduce their dependence on heat to encourage feather growth ready for the big wide world.
I use a chicktec Brooder plate not light/lamp.
my brooding room is warm with lots of sunshine so I do turn the heat off during the day at about 3-4wks..I then pop it back on at night for another week & When temperatures drop too low. At 5 ish weeks my chicks are in the garden in the day with a covered grassed area and a coop..by 7-8wks old I expect them to be living outside day & night ...I guess I do it all pretty gradually.
We all do it s little differently depending on where we live & what we’re comfortable with..but this works for me ❤️

Back
Top Bottom