Think they'll be okay outside with mom?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by silkhope, Oct 30, 2007.

1. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    I probably know the answer to this and I'm wincing as I type it cause it might be a no brainer, but I have two mom's with babies due to hatch out this weekend. Having only had babies hatched by mom's once, and it was warm weather, I'm just not sure.

They are in the coop, out of the elements of course, but will it be okay to leave the babies with mom in the coop as the temperatures are dropping (high 30's at night starting this weekend), should I add another heat source out there, or, worst case scenario (in my husband's opinion), is to move them all into the garage...

Thanks
    Ashley

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My momma hen hatched out a chick and on day three ran around in the 40 deg rain with it. As long as they don't have too many chicks to handle, she should be able to do fine. Garage of course would be the safest.

3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I added a heater to my momma's area, but it was January...
    High 30s sounds fine to me, as long as all the babies can fit under mom, and it is dry. You don't want baby chicks getting damp and chilled.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    Ok thanks... I'll see how they do. I really don't want to put heat out there, it worries me with straw, etc. so I may have to bite the bullet and move them to the garage against DH's wishes. He told me I could put them in the bathroom with the new kitties. He wasn't happy about those either. LOL!

5. silkies4ever

silkies4ever Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    I have 4 chicks that the mother is caring for and I move them inside at night. I fell in love with all 4 of them the day they hatched and didn't want to take any chances with leaving them out in cold weather or rain. I'm sure Muffy would have taken great care of them and kept them warm, but better to be safe than sorry. [​IMG]

6. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by