1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Thinkin' it was a coyote...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bobbi-j, Jul 25, 2013.

1. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Free Ranging Premium Member

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    We have been gone a couple of weeks. I had family doing chicken chores. My birds were let out this past Monday morning, and everything was fine. That evening, there were 3 - 4 hens missing, one juvenile and my rooster. An injured hen was found next to a building. The only sign of any of the missing birds is a few of my rooster's tailfeathers. The injured hen was put down today due to head and facial trauma. It looked like there was a puncture wound right next to one of her eyes, and just behind her beak. Both eyes were gunked shut. We are not believers in prolonging suffering in an animal. The chickens were kept in their coop/runs all day Tues. and Wed., but are free ranging again today since we're home and there is once again activity where the coops are. Our 10-year old lab died a month ago, so we didn't have dog scent around there anymore, and we'd been gone for almost 2 weeks. I suppose the varmints finally figured it out.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Sounds like something a coyote would do. Hope you get him.

3. janes flock

janes flock In the Brooder

Jun 22, 2013
    callisburg tx
    I would definitely be looking for a new dog. They are quite effective in keeping predators at bay. Just there presence is a strong deterrent. IMO

4. bobbi-j

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Agreed - Not sure when it will happen, though. Have another short trip to make, will be getting home the day before son's wedding. THEN I can start dog-shopping. DH says if we have to have one, he wants one with some lab in it. Best time to find those is about 8 weeks after hunting season starts around here. [​IMG] Not only does the presence of a dog keep predators on their toes, it also helps keep the darn deer out of the garden! They're pretty brazen right now.

5. bobbi-j

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I am now positive it was coyotes. I just heard them yipping down around the coops. It's midnight and the chickens are locked up tight, so I'm not worried about it, but I still don't like them so close. The chickens will be spending the next week or so in their coops with attached runs. Much going on, and we'll be having visitors with dogs that are not chicken-trained. Maybe the lack of an easy snack will encourage the varmints to move on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by