Thinking about adding 5 new GROWN hens...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicks Galore3, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Is it worth the hassle to add GROWN chickens to my flock? I know it is imported to quarantine them for a couple months away from my flock. If I decide to buy them, what should I ask the seller? What should I look for in the hens?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I could be worth it for you, yes. You should quarantine them for a month, but if you can keep them somewhere within sight of your flock they will get used to seeing each other and it will make integration easier later.
    When you go buy them ask the seller what he/she's been feeding them, have they been dewormed and when, any other pest control done?
    Look at the set-up where they were kept. Is is cleaned regularly? Is their food and water fresh and clean? Look for any visible injuries or signs of disease, listless looking chickens etc.
    When you bring them home and got them settled deworm and dust for mites as a precaution. I didn't do this once when I got new chickens (they looked fine) and I ended up with a major worm and mite infestation. Lesson learned!

3. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Ok! What would I use a dewormer and de-mite-er?

4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Most people recommend Invermectin or Valbazen for deworming and Sevin dust or DE (diatomaceous earth) for mites.

5. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Thank you so much!

Also- It is 15 dollars for 5 hens, two years old. Is that a good price? I am thinking so, because grown hens already laying can go for 25 dollars. So either he loves his chickens and just wants them to go to a good home, or he knows they are sick or something.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  6. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm not in the US, so I've no idea about chicken prices, but most people consider 2 year old hens "old", so they won't fetch as good a price as POL hens who are about to start laying. That could be why the hens are going cheap.

7. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    OH kay. :)

8. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I had hens of 2 years and older laying the youngsters out of the coop and a 5 year old who was one of my best layers. They may not lay every single day any more, but they will probably lay you a good few eggs.

9. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Thanks so much! I will probably call him today or tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by