Thinking about adding to my existing flock... helpful tips please!

camochick96

Songster
Apr 27, 2017
North TX
I started my little backyard flock 2 years ago today! I got 5 chicks to start on this journey, 4 were pullets and one turned out to be a cockerel. Two months ago I lost one of my best laying hens, a slw. I’m looking to expand my flock this spring. And seeing the little chicks in all the feed stores has me ready! I’d like to get at least 2 more pullets, possibly 3. None of my girls have any interest in setting on eggs, so that option is out. And I’m concerned about hatching my own and ending up with roosters, I love my boy but he’s enough lol! What would be my best option to adding to my existing flock? My thoughts are buy chicks and raise them up in a brooder for a few weeks. And then slowly integrate them in with the others. I have a small wire pen I think I could use to integrate them into the coop slowly. I have no experience with integrating to an existing flock, so any helpful tips and concerns will be greatly appreciated! ;)

Is there a certain breed you interested in?If not I would search for a color sexing breed to make your chances of avoiding roosters much more possible.Personally going the chick route will probably help avoid conflict,illness,and stress amongst the chickens ,so your best option.

I have gotten all eight of my chicks from Meyer Hatchery and can't recommend them enough. I have been thoroughly impressed with their customer service and the health of the chicks when they arrived in post. They have a huge selection of different breeds and you can mix and match 3 chicks of your breed choice (you can also pick gendered chicks for many breeds as well, so you don't have to risk getting a rooster unless you want to).

They also have a way to filter the site according to hatch date so you can see exactly which breeds are available on which weeks, so you can choose your delivery dates accordingly.

Here's a group shot of my chicks from them last year at a week old:
d3PG0q8.jpg

Is there a certain breed you interested in?If not I would search for a color sexing breed to make your chances of avoiding roosters much more possible.Personally going the chick route will probably help avoid conflict,illness,and stress amongst the chickens ,so your best option.

I’m not exactly sure wha breeds yet. That’s good to know that chicks should be easier to integrate into my flock.

I have gotten all eight of my chicks from Meyer Hatchery and can't recommend them enough. I have been thoroughly impressed with their customer service and the health of the chicks when they arrived in post. They have a huge selection of different breeds and you can mix and match 3 chicks of your breed choice (you can also pick gendered chicks for many breeds as well, so you don't have to risk getting a rooster unless you want to).

They also have a way to filter the site according to hatch date so you can see exactly which breeds are available on which weeks, so you can choose your delivery dates accordingly.

Here's a group shot of my chicks from them last year at a week old: View attachment 1740701

Awesome, thanks for that recommendation! I’ve always been nervous about getting chicks in the mail, but I’m looking into all of my options to get healthy and sexed chicks. I’ll definitely be checking out that site. Your chicks are adorable, what breeds did you choose? Currently I have 1 EE hen 1 EE rooster 1 Rhode Island Red hen and 1 Barred Rock hen.

Awesome, thanks for that recommendation! I’ve always been nervous about getting chicks in the mail, but I’m looking into all of my options to get healthy and sexed chicks. I’ll definitely be checking out that site. Your chicks are adorable, what breeds did you choose? Currently I have 1 EE hen 1 EE rooster 1 Rhode Island Red hen and 1 Barred Rock hen.

The chicks in the photo are four silkies (two white, two buff) and a White Plymouth Rock. The White Rock was actually a free chick. Meyer has a program called Meyer Meal Maker where (if you opt in during the ordering process) they will throw in a free chick with your order if you promise to give away some of your eggs or meat to someone else, and spread the good word about backyard chickenkeeping. They're supposed to send a meat bird if you order other meat chicks, or a layer type if you order layers.

Of course my meal maker turned out to be a giant fluffy super-loud white rooster I ended up having to rehome with somebody in the country (my chickens are surburbanites) but he ended up getting his own harem out in the sticks where he could yell all morning if he wants. All have wonderful personalities.

Meyer also has an "adopt-a-chick" program where they take all the leftover chicks from their other hatches and sell them at a discounted price, so you can get some really nice straight run rare breed chicks that way. These are chicks that would otherwise be culled so it's a way to give otherwise unwanted chicks a good home.

I was so nervous to order chicks in the mail, but they came really securely packaged and it was honestly a lot less fuss than I was expecting. All chicks were active and happy when they arrived. They also give you the option to have the chicks vaccinated, and to be shipped with Grow-gel and other supplements to give them a boost when they arrive.

The chicks in the photo are four silkies (two white, two buff) and a White Plymouth Rock. The White Rock was actually a free chick. Meyer has a program called Meyer Meal Maker where (if you opt in during the ordering process) they will throw in a free chick with your order if you promise to give away some of your eggs or meat to someone else, and spread the good word about backyard chickenkeeping. They're supposed to send a meat bird if you order other meat chicks, or a layer type if you order layers.

Of course my meal maker turned out to be a giant fluffy super-loud white rooster I ended up having to rehome with somebody in the country (my chickens are surburbanites) but he ended up getting his own harem out in the sticks where he could yell all morning if he wants. All have wonderful personalities.

Meyer also has an "adopt-a-chick" program where they take all the leftover chicks from their other hatches and sell them at a discounted price, so you can get some really nice straight run rare breed chicks that way. These are chicks that would otherwise be culled so it's a way to give otherwise unwanted chicks a good home.

I was so nervous to order chicks in the mail, but they came really securely packaged and it was honestly a lot less fuss than I was expecting. All chicks were active and happy when they arrived. They also give you the option to have the chicks vaccinated, and to be shipped with Grow-gel and other supplements to give them a boost when they arrive.

That’s some great information, thank you! I love the idea of getting healthy chicks that I can choose the gender for sure. Having them vaccinated sounds like a great idea too since I’ll be adding them to my existing flock!

That’s some great information, thank you! I love the idea of getting healthy chicks that I can choose the gender for sure. Having them vaccinated sounds like a great idea too since I’ll be adding them to my existing flock!

They're really decently priced too, my starter flock of five cost about fifty bucks and the shipping was more expensive than the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom