Thinking about adopting a cat/dog

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Lilywater101, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Lilywater101

Lilywater101 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2009
    I was thinking about adopting a cat or small lap dog, but I was wondering how much someone who actually owns a cat or dog spends on them? please help!!(include food costs,vet bills,etc)

2. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    If you adopt it I'll assume it is already spayed/neutered and vaccinated so that takes out a fair bit of the initial cost.
    My dog is my best friend and I have no kids so I probably spend a little more on her than the "average" dog owner.

She eats about $50 a month in food/treats.
    About $50-75 a year on toys/leash/collar/beds/accessories.
    The average maintenance vet costs are $100-200 (depending on where you live and if you choose to vaccinate or not)
    Heartworm prevention is about $40/year (A must-have where I am from)

I'd guess I spend around $1000+/- a year on my one dog but like I said, that may be higher than most people.

Cats tend to be less expensive. My two indoor cats only cost me whatever their food and a few packages of catnip mice cost each year. Maybe $150 each. I choose not to vaccinate my cats or dog so that takes a major hunk out of my bills.

ALWAYS plan for emergency, even if it means having a credit card you never use that is strictly for emergency pet care, or have a savings account that you deposit $20 a month in for possible emergencies. There is nothing worse than having a major medical emergency and you have no way of funding your pets medical care.

3. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    I have 2 Persian cats..Paid $150 for him and she was free from a neighbor Their shots are $50 each per year..They are declawed that was $150 each..And they eat Blue Spa and that is $60 a month...They are not fixed as I would like kittens....Hasnt happen yet he is still young...

I have 1 dog a min-pin,paid $450 he was fixed,tail and ears done and declaws removed..His food has to come from the vet because he has a very touchy tummy..It is $30 every 2 months..His shots are also $50 a year,,Heart worm pills is $30 every 6 months..Teeth cleaned is $150 only needs it once,Has been sick a couple of time because of his eating problems...$500...

Can add up...

Also have 1 bunny hasnt be to the vet..but food,bedding,snacks,hay, about $35 a month

6 ducks not been to the vet...but food,grit,oyster shells,straw,and tons of water....$30 a month....

4. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    dont forget GROOMING.... even if you get a short hair animal you need to to NAIL care.. and small dogs need their "rear-end" glands and ears checked/cleaned.. aprox 4 Xs a year ...
    if you get a small dog that needs coat care.. plan on monthly haircuts..

yeah.. my dogs are my kids... i have 7 dogs.. 4 karelian beardogs as my outside guard/protection dogs and 3 poodles (maybe soon to be 4) right now 1 ST, and 2 toy..
    always have about $1000 for emergancy vetbill...
    i just spent about $2,000 to save one of my cats life....
    and $300 to find out what my STpoodle is allergic to...
    and $40 to microchip my new toy poodle...

but "real" people probably wont spend on their pets the same way i do...
    the average person?? per year???
    $240 food/treats
    $100 shots..
    i dont live somewhere where i need to do heartworm so i just dont know about that..
    $40 leash/collar/name tag/bed/ bottle of shampoo/ brush

possibly... $100 doghouse.... $35 month haircuts/nails....

long haired cats HAVE to be BRUSHED... or they will become matted and need to be shaved....
    i have shaved 6 cats in only 2 days (at my shop) i think there are several more on the book the rest of the week

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  5. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    Wow, y'all have some great prices on heartworm prevention. [​IMG]

Cats are generally much cheaper to keep. [​IMG]

6. sandypaws

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    i think no amout of money is to much to spend for a great companion and friend.....
    i could not even imagine my life without at least ONE dog... i would rather be "put to sleep" myself than to have to live life without a dog... or horse... or cat.. or reptile... or chickens...

7. texasgirl

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    I'm with you Sandy. Since the day I was born I have honestly never lived a day of my life without a dog in the house and I wouldn't have it any other way. There have been times I've re-considered having kids because I would feel so guilty taking attention away from my girl Pep, lol.

8. texasgirl

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    Quote:Heartgard is $25/6 months for the smallest size and $34 for the middle size and $42 I believe for the largest size.

Tri-Heart is $19/6 months for the smallest size and $27 for the middle size and $37 for the largest size.

Those are the two best HW products out there IMO.
    We carried Revolution for a while at the clinic but weren't 100% comfortable with it so we have gone back to the oral preventative.

9. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    if your adopting you also have to take in the inital adoption cost, some places are 75 a piece thats what we got my 2 dogs for in missouri, then when we moved my sister wanted a dog and here its over 200 for just the adoption, so look around and keep your options open.

10. sandypaws

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    texasgirl.... DOGS are easier than children.. stick with the DOGS!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by