Thinking about Backyard Chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by guesswhokatysue, Aug 11, 2013.

1. guesswhokatysue

guesswhokatysue Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    Maine
    Hello everyone! My name is Katy (hence my username :p) and my fiance and I are considering building ourselves a coop and getting some laying hens. We are hoping to have some fresh eggs mostly for ourselves, and likely our parents (although I don't want a TON of hens and a TON of eggs either!). I am hoping that by joining this forum before we have invested a penny into this endeavor, we can have a head-start on information and a fewer lessons learned the hard way. Any advice we can have thrown at us would be WONDERFUL. I am hoping to raise them organically, but I am not looking to sell the eggs, so it wont be the end of the world if I fail in that regard.

What our plan is so far (feel free to let us know the flaws!): We hope to build our own coop so that we can save some money, get what we want, and trust that it is clean (versus buying an already used one). We will not be letting the chickens roam around our yard free range, we don't want other animals to see a free meal! We are thinking of having between 3-4 laying hens, enough so we can have some eggs, but not so many that we feel over-whelmed by what we have!

A little about us: We will be married in 2014, and have been together 4 years this month! We have a plethora of fur-babies, and at the moment, they are our children. We have 3 kitties: Max (2), Wally, and Ivan (1). And of course, we have one boxer: Levi (3). The cats are indoor-only because we couldn't bear the thought of them getting outside and never returning.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Katy, welcome to BYC. You are doing things the right way. Research and plan first, and THEN start your flock. Common sense and logic is a good thing.

3. guesswhokatysue

Aug 11, 2013
    Maine
    It is usually how I try to plan any "new" pet, or an animal that I haven't had much experience with. It is most definitely easier to have some expectations, that way I can know when something is wrong, and also know when I have done something right. Thank you for the welcome [​IMG], I hope that when we start our flock we can become regular members of this site!

4. rita123

rita123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    Michigan
    Hi Katy... This year was my first venture into chickens and I learned lots of great stuff from this web site. My husband and I got 8 chicks this spring for eggs only. We have a nice coop with an attached run for the girls. They're super spoiled and we got our first egg last week. So exciting!! We also have 3 dogs and they haven't been an issue. Our geman shepherd likes to guard the girls :) Good luck with your flock!

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Katy, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! One bit of advice on your coop...the recommended size is 4 sq. ft per bird...but you may want to go bigger, just in case you ever want to add to the flock...which if you are like most of us on BYC, is a certainty! Good luck to you!

6. guesswhokatysue

Aug 11, 2013
    Maine
    Thank you both for the welcomes! Rita123, your first egg must have been super exciting! I know I would be absolutely thrilled to see something I have been working for (my own eggs) finally start to happen! Congrats :)

Redsoxs--thank you for the coop advice! I was just perusing and posting in the coop thread and saw something about the 4sq ft per bird. I think you are spot on with making it bigger than the planned amount of birds. We rent my parents in-law apartment, and my dad is already saying that we should have a dozen! I keep telling him I am not trying to feed an army eggs, just enough for family and maybe friends (depending on how many we get) to eat. So I wouldn't be at ALL surprised if we got our 3-4 birds and my dad convinces us to get more. He wants them to roam freely during the day to eat ticks, but I am sort of against that thought. I think we are going to a fair today, and I plan to talk to some of the 4-H kids and some farmers there for some helpful advice as well. I love using forums to gain information because you get HUMAN advice. Things people have tried and know work (or don't). I can't wait to start drawing up our plans for the coop and start building!

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Redsoxs started off with some good advice! Build a big coop. Once you discover how much fun chickens are you will be glad you have the space! There are some lovely designs in our Coops section to inspire you. Also have a browse through the Learning Center for some more tips and general chicken info and the fun part, the Breeds section, to see what's available (about that big coop [​IMG]) Enjoy the site!

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

10. guesswhokatysue

Aug 11, 2013
    Maine
    Thank you everyone! [​IMG] And thank you Sumi for all the helpful links to follow. I am looking forward to this adventure...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by