thinking about buying an incubator...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ajcress, Dec 21, 2007.

1. ajcress

ajcress Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    Masontown, WV
    I am new at having chickens. I am now thinking that I might want to but an incubator and raise my own (buying to eggs off of our people at BYC!) by the time I would buy the breeds that I would like to have I would save more money this way. Plus I think it would be fun to learn and watch. BUT... I need friendly advice to help get me started I know nothing about it! Can anyone help???

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Get a hova-bator model 1588 with a turner. [​IMG]

3. d_rooster

d_rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    North Augusta, SC
    Ditto!!!! to what Katy said. I used an incubator without a turner for my first incubation experience. Although I enjoyed seeing the eggs each day and being involved with the incubation process, turning the eggs by hand on a regular schedule got to be a bit of a chore.

With my new Hovabator 1588 w/the auto egg turner option, I can get away with checking on them once in the morning and once in the evening to verify temperature and humidity without worrying that the incubator will drift too far off the ideal settings. This incubator has been worth the investment.

4. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    I grew up with chickens,but never hatched any with an incubator but always wanted to hatch quail since i was about 11 or 12,well now I have a son and he needed a project for school(FFA),so I say lets raise some quail so i got on the net to see about buying an incubator and they all seemed so expensive,then one day I found BYC,everyone was so nice and helpfull I couldnt help myself,I built a bator got some eggs and hatched them,now I got the chicken fever,its way better than buying chicks at the feed store I think its something everyone should experince at least once,You wont be sorry wether you buy a bator or make one,its a great experince for the whole family,
    have fun

5. ajcress

Dec 14, 2007
    Masontown, WV
    where is the best & most reasonable place to purchase a bator? I no nothing about the whole process. might need lots of help from all of you!!

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I got my 1588 from Cutler Supply for about $140 dollars. That was the cheapest place I found.

7. ajcress

Dec 14, 2007
    Masontown, WV
    I found their website. I also found the 1588 incubator. in the options for this bator it gives you these options... 1588 w/ 1611 for &142.60
    and 1588w/1610 for $148.00
    I figured out that these options were egg turners but I am not sure what would be the best for me. I would like to get something that if I decide to hatch duck or turkey I could do that as well. I am sorry for being such a bother. Just want to get the right thing. What would you recommend???

Is there a hatching book for dummies or anything?!?! i might need it or I will be bugging you guys to death. Just better to ask people who know! Sorry. you guys are great and I really appriciate the help.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The 1610 turner has the quail racks included, the 1611 doesn't, so unless you plan on hatching quail the universal (1611) will hold chickens, ducks, etc.

9. ajcress

Dec 14, 2007
    Masontown, WV
    another dumb question.. I was told that some people buy eggs from the store or fresh farm eggs that are sold for eating to use as a "test run". how would you know if it worked? usless they hatched. buy they need to be fertilized.????

10. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Most all the questions you might have to get started are on the "how to" pages found on the BYC home page.
    I have found this link to be very helpful also.
    http://shilala.homestead.com/incubating.html

You can hatch Turkeys and Ducks in a Hova-Bator just fine. Geese may require an inexpensive extender. If you find you need to economize, get the Fan first then add the turner later. Most people who buy the still air incubators want to add the fan later it makes incubation much more reliable.

I am not a great fan of the styrofoam incubators. I started with a Hova and promptly sold it and bought a Top Hatch. It is more durable and has electronic thermostat that is much more manageable. There are downsides in that it has a light that controls the heat and the light flashes on and off so it requires a place where it will not bother anyone. It is a bit more noisey than the Foam units. It will last much longer and allows for the hatching of anything from quail to geese. It cana be thoroughly cleaned in the Dishwasher.

If it were me starting out I would spend a bit more and get one with at least an electronic thermostat. Hova has a great one that is electronic and is pre set to the proper temp taking the guess work out.

One order of eggs that do not hatch or have a very poor hatch will usually offset the difference in cost between the thermal wafer and an more reliable thermostat. jmho

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by