Thinking about Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LeJeune1, Dec 16, 2012.

1. LeJeune1

LeJeune1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Allen Parish, LA
    We are moving to our new homeplace in the country! About 6 acres and 8 miles from town :eek:) There is a small Pond and a creek on the back half. I grew up with Muscovies, thought they were cute, except the Drakes. . . . But then they'd get butchered. I'd like to get a few Ducks. Preferably small, don't have to be calls, but small, and nice to people, dogs and chickens. What are some breeds we should consider? Where should we get them? What about grow-ups? Thanks for any advice.

2. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I have Indian Runners and I LOVE them. They are a riot and they are small. If you are planning to eat ducks again, they will not be good for that, but they are exceptional layers and have great personality. Some people will say they are skittish but I got mine as day-olds and they imprinted on my boyfriend and I and they are super friendly and non-flighty. I even brought them to the feed store with me the other day and all the employees and customers were coming up and petting them and they were great.They get along great with my chickens and don't require much space or as much feed. They are better at avoiding predators too because they can run so fast.

I got my babies from Metzer Farms. I ordered them over the phone. I live in Idaho and they are in bay area Cali. They were really nice and the babies shipped healthy and happy! They have a super helpful and informative website, they specialize in water fowl and they have a great breed description of everything. I would reccomend visiting their site even if you don't necessarily order from them. I don't know if they ship adults. Ducks are great I love having them and chickens. Both so different! Good luck, let us know what you decide on [​IMG]

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I like runners, too, for many of the same reasons. If you don't plan to eat the eggs, you might enjoy mallards--they're small and can fly, so they'll be less susceptible to predation.

Muscovies are not small, but they're great if you want friendly, curious ducks.

I agree about the temperament though--while muscovies are almost automatically friendly by nature, any duck can be tamed if done from a young age. The sweetest, friendliest ducks I ever met were two Indian Runners that were hatched & raised in a classroom--the kids fed them by hand every day, so they associated people with safety and food.

Check out the breeds at holderreadfarm.com and see what appeals to you. Take into consideration whether you want eggs, meat, ornamental, etc., and go from there.

Have fun, and congrats on your country home! Yay! :)

4. LeJeune1

LeJeune1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Allen Parish, LA
    Thanks for the Info! I don't want to eat them. . maybe the eggs, but ahve bad memories from childhood :eek:)

5. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I hear good things about Holderread's as well :) Check around your area, you may have a good local breeder right in your proverbial backyard! I had no idea Idaho had its own hatchery until I decided to get chickens and was checking around...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  6. Coyote Night

Coyote Night Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2012
    Missouri
    The runners and mallards are two really good options.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by