Thinking about getting 2 girl pilgrim goslings

Duck_girl

Chirping
Apr 22, 2021
Hello I have been thinking about getting two girl pilgrim goslings as pets, if I handle them everyday would they be lap geese? I currently don't have any other geese, so would they bond with me? Also is there other breeds of geese that you can tell the gender as goslings that would also be friendly? Sorry for all the questions I just want to be prepared. I currently have muscovy ducks and I am getting call ducklings soon.

My experiences with Pilgrims is with 4, so take this with a grain of salt. Mine are more aloof than my American buff. I personally didn't try to tame mine down, but mine still learned to come when called pretty quickly.

Any goose breed can become very friendly, so pick what you like. You can buy sexed goslings from various hatcheries, although most are sold out of most breeds already. If you are buying locally than pilgrims are the way to go because they can be sexed by color.

My experiences with Pilgrims is with 4, so take this with a grain of salt. Mine are more aloof than my American buff. I personally didn't try to tame mine down, but mine still learned to come when called pretty quickly.

Any goose breed can become very friendly, so pick what you like. You can buy sexed goslings from various hatcheries, although most are sold out of most breeds already. If you are buying locally than pilgrims are the way to go because they can be sexed by color.
Thank you I would be buying locally so I should probably go with pilgrim, I would also be spending at least an hour with them everyday.

Hello I have been thinking about getting two girl pilgrim goslings as pets, if I handle them everyday would they be lap geese? I currently don't have any other geese, so would they bond with me? Also is there other breeds of geese that you can tell the gender as goslings that would also be friendly? Sorry for all the questions I just want to be prepared. I currently have muscovy ducks and I am getting call ducklings soon.
I've read plenty of stories of people who hand raise goslings. It's kind of a catch .22 how it will turn out because you can't predict how their behavior will change when they mature and have their hormones going crazy.

I've read plenty of stories of people who hand raise goslings. It's kind of a catch .22 how it will turn out because you can't predict how their behavior will change when they mature and have their hormones going crazy.
So its risky even with them being both girls and no boys? Should I just stick with muscovy and call ducks then?

So its risky even with them being both girls and no boys? Should I just stick with muscovy and call ducks then?
Is it aggression you're worried about?
Really any bird that goes through their hormone phrase could potentially become aggressive. I wouldn't say one species is more than another.
I have geese but I don't have Muscovy or call ducks, so I don't know that they're "safer" or not.

My geese are extremely moody currently. Loud and obnoxious. They will calm back down usually by July or August. I'm always grateful when breeding season is over and I can hear again.

My muscovy get grumpy when they are broody as well, but it's a little less noisy.

I had big regrets about geese my first adult season, but than by fall I was happy with them again. I enjoy chatting with them during the calmer months.

Muscovy guard their nests, geese guard their eggs. Every single one is precious to them.

I think geese are more intelligent, and can be more interactive. You just have to be prepared for a few crazy months with them.

Is it aggression you're worried about?
Really any bird that goes through their hormone phrase could potentially become aggressive. I wouldn't say one species is more than another.
I have geese but I don't have Muscovy or call ducks, so I don't know that they're "safer" or not.
Yes it would be aggression I am worried about, because I have little brothers. My Muscovies aren't aggressive I guess I lucked out because my male muscovy is a sweetheart, and its breeding season right now, I handled my Muscovies as babies and they aren't aggressive. I know that male geese are aggressive during breeding season, are female geese aggressive during breeding season?

Yes it would be aggression I am worried about, because I have little brothers. My Muscovies aren't aggressive I guess I lucked out because my male muscovy is a sweetheart, and its breeding season right now, I handled my Muscovies as babies and they aren't aggressive. I know that male geese are aggressive during breeding season, are female geese aggressive during breeding season?
None of my female geese have been aggressive unless they are on the nest.

Back
Top Bottom