Thinking about getting 2 pekin ducks. Questions.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dacdeihl, Jan 27, 2010.

1. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    I'm thinking about getting two pekin ducks this spring. I have several questions that I hope someone can help me with. I raise chickens free roam and want to add two ducks to the farm as pets.

Are pekin the best for taking care of bugs and other such insects?

Do pekins do alot of damage to gardens?

Are they loud?

I am going to provide them with a dog house shelter built off the ground 16 inches for shade and outside shelter. They will have straw and wood ships for bedding. Water pool and water drinking bucket and food in the shelter.

Do they need locked in at night?

How often to they lay eggs? i'm not looking to get many just interested.

Should I buy baby ducks and raise them so they are more friendly towards me and my toddler? or is it ok to get them as adults?

Are they agressive towards people or are they tame to where to can walk up and pet them?

if all of these ideal trates are not for pekins any suggestions as to a bread of duck that would be ok?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Are pekin the best for taking care of bugs and other such insects? They will eat them for you and be quite happy while doing it.

Do pekins do alot of damage to gardens? Unlike chickens they will not scratch up the ground. They WILL, however, eat your plants or trample things. Anything you don't want eaten, you surround with poultry wire.

Are they loud? Yes

Do they need locked in at night? Yes, Raccoons and such LOVE a free duck dinner.

How often to they lay eggs? Pekins are seasonal layers. You will get eggs in spring to summer.

Should I buy baby ducks and raise them so they are more friendly towards me and my toddler? That's what I would do. Adults can be friendly, but you will have better odds if you are handling them daily from a young age.

Are they agressive towards people or are they tame to where to can walk up and pet them? Usually tame...especially if you handled them a lot as ducklings

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  3. luckyduck

luckyduck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2010
    Port Alberni
    Are pekin the best for taking care of bugs and other such insects?
    They love slugs and will root thru lawns and gardens with their bills for worms, roots, ??
    Do pekins do alot of damage to gardens?
    They leave big holes and ruts in lawns when they dibble with their bills. I call it free aerating and fertilizing, but my neighbour:barnie isn't as happy about it when they do it in his yard.

Are they loud?
    The drakes do a quiet muttery bap-bap sound, but the gals are real loud honkers!

I am going to provide them with a dog house shelter built off the ground 16 inches for shade and outside shelter. They will have straw and wood ships for bedding. Water pool and water drinking bucket and food in the shelter.
    Remember that they love chopped fresh greens as well and that they need to drink water when they eat. They leave a lot of residue in their water .. need frequent cleaning.
    Do they need locked in at night?
    For sure! And they like it.. mine go to their coop just at dusk and don't settle til I go to lock them in secure.
    I don't let them out til daylight .. mine free range with the chickens.

Should I buy baby ducks and raise them so they are more friendly towards me and my toddler? or is it ok to get them as adults?
    I can only speak for myself, but the girls I got as young adults had not been socialized so to this day they act like they are afaid of me if I even think of trying to touch them. My new ducklings are already super tame and friendly and not the least nervous.

Are they agressive towards people or are they tame to where to can walk up and pet them?
    It depends on how they are raised.

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:

5. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    My son and I raised ducks last summer. He was two. We had 5 Pekins and 5 Rouens. Yes the Pekins are very loud but he enjoyed waking up and calling Toot's name out the window to hear him quack back. then out to the yard he went with his breakfast and his treats. Jack took Toot for car rides in his powerwheels, up for a nap in his bed, and for trips to the grocery store. A boy and his duck. They loved each other very much. At the end of the summer we sold them cause it was just a practice run to see what it was like and we were not ready to house them for the winter. But this year we have ordered some other breeds of ducks and we are going to keep them for a long time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by