thinking about getting a bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JPF92788, Sep 6, 2009.

1. JPF92788

JPF92788 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2009
    so im thinking about getting a rcom 3 egg incubator to hatch some chicks for my kids. we have 11 hens and a rooster. only 4 of the hens are laying right now, a RI red, black star and 2 black australorps. when i crack the eggs to make breakfast and such i see the white spot in some but not all. that means they are fertilized right? just wondering if it would be worth trying to hatch 3 chicks this time of year. if most but not all eggs have the white spot, will i have a good chance of putting fertile eggs in the bator? how will i know if they are fertilized when i put them in the bator, dont want to wait 20 days for an egg that wasnt even fertilized.

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I would advise getting something bigger, the more eggs you set, the more chicks you get! Hey, that was a good rhyme, maybe I'll shove it into my signature!

Anyway, the eggs should be fertile. I guess you know about candling, shining a light though the egg. It solves the waiting problem. You don't know if they are fertilized until the seventh day when you candle them.

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    A plain white spot is in all eggs it is the blastodisc, unfertilized. If it is fertilized, it should appear as a little bullseye, white spot, clear ring, white ring, still very tiny, called a blastoderm, I think. There are some great pics on here somewhere.......
    And yes candling at 7 days should allow you to tell, but on brown eggs, I always waited untill 10 days because I never trusted my judgement. Candle before you put them in, just so you can have something to compare to.

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I knew it was around here somewhere, here's a thread with pictures of both fertile and infertile eggs.

5. Greenwood Chick

Greenwood Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    NW Washington State
    I have that incubator. It worked great. I've only hatched 3 eggs in it, but others on here have put more in and turned the eggs themselves rather than used the auto turner. I think I remember 6 eggs being about the max that you can fit.

A while ago they were on-sale (scratch and dent) on the Brinsea website for $80. What a deal! [​IMG]

Have fun![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by