Thinking about getting a Chicken....?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pet Duck Boy, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Hey everyone. I'm thinking of getting a new friend for my duck, a chicken. My parents won't let me get another duck.
    I've only kept ducks so help me out with chicken Q's. So here's the questions:

1: Do they fly?

2: Is chicken layer mixed with a little cracked corn a suitable diet?

3: The feed store owner says the lay blue eggs, the chickens are pure white. Any idea what breed they are?

4: Are ducks and chickens compatable? Can they bond? Would it keep my duck from being lonely?

5: How many eggs on average does a chicken lay each week?

6: They sell the full grown hens for 15$ at the feed store, is that reasonable?

7: Do they need sunlight to lay eggs like ducks? Any supplements?

Thanks for the help.

2. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    Not an expert, by any means, but here goes...

1: Do they fly? Yes. Some breeds better than others.

2: Is chicken layer mixed with a little cracked corn a suitable diet? Depends on the age. Special foods for different stages of life. Cracked corn is a treat.

3: The feed store owner says the lay blue eggs, the chickens are pure white. Any idea what breed they are? Probably some form of Easter Egg chicken (some folks call them americanas).

4: Are ducks and chickens compatable? Can they bond? Would it keep my duck from being lonely? I had ducks and chickens. They didn't really bond. I think the chickens resented that the ducks were always hogging all the food.

5: How many eggs on average does a chicken lay each week? Depends on the breed, time of year. 3-5

6: They sell the full grown hens for 15$ at the feed store, is that reasonable? Depends on the breed. Sounds high. Have you looked on Craigslist or on here? I know prices vary by locale, though. For EEs, I think that's high.

7: Do they need sunlight to lay eggs like ducks? Any supplements? They lay better with adequate sunlight. Oyster shells are a good calcium supplement.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by