Thinking about getting a Dickey

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CelticOaksFarm, Nov 29, 2011.

1. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Have talked to hubby about getting a cabinet bator for next year. After looking for 3 months I think a Dickey with 3 trays and a hatcher tray. I know there are tons of fans of these cabinets so please share your thoughts and any tips you have.

2. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I've heard nothing but good things about them , but I went with GQF because I live in Ga and they are built in Savanna Ga + I got a very good deal on them .

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  3. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I absolutely love my Dickey though I decided to get a smaller incubator for a hatcher. I have the 2x2 and I find that doing staggered hatches can be difficult. I prefer a separate hatcher so it doesn't screw with the humidity for the eggs still incubating. But I still love my Dickey.

4. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Bought it for under 400 too. Below are the details, hoping to pick it up by the weekend.

with 3 auto turning trays and an addition hatching tray, electronic thermostat & digital hygrometer and automatic humidity system w/5 gallon capacity and six plastic egg positioners​

5. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    Quote:
    that's less than a new GQF sportsman

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have heard nothing but good things about Dickeys. I bought a Sportsman too because I got a good deal. I originally incubated in my LG and Hova-Bator styrofoams, but now I use them as hatchers.

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    They are very good incubators, worry free, great quality, good parts, American made !!!. You can't go wrong.

8. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Thanks all, CMom do the styro bators make good hatchers? Which do you use?

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I hatch in both LG and Hova-Bator styrofoams. I do staggered hatches so it works well for me. I did put the incubator on a table that fits perfectly under it. I used to have it on the floor.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This is my last hatch for awhile. I just hatched some out yesterday and another batch is pipping and will start hatching tomorrow. I put the new hatches in an homemade incubator I made as for the next few nights it's going to be in the 40's and 30's. I have the incubators in our guest apartment. We are expecting some company so DH said the apartment is off limits for now. I guess I could bring everything into the house LOL.

[​IMG]

10. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Thanks for the pictures and info. I have always loved your brooder set up. Hoping to convert a set of shelves we have into something similar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by