thinking about getting a duck.. questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by roxyblue, Oct 19, 2011.

1. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Hello everyone!
    so I'm thinking about having a duck.
    but I have a few questions... actually I have ALOT.[​IMG]
    first of is can they eat layer pellets, and do they need a big trough of water to swim in? also how much space do they need and DO THEY FLY!
    thanks for any info!

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    My birds are now on duck layer pellets, my younger ones are on grower. I use kiddy pools for my ducks since i don't have a pond, i just clean and refill them every other day or so...

As for space, mine free range and then have a small barn to go in at night, flying? depends on the breed.. my Muscovy hens can fly, the drakes not so much because there so big lol

3. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Thank you!
    I really need a duck that can't fly, and is a good layer. also do ducks roost?

4. AngelV

AngelV Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2011
    Pinellas Park Fl
    Hey Roxyblue..
    Good pick on the duckies.. I have 2 Runners love to have more, but I need more room.. i have a small backyard and i live in apartment [​IMG] Soo far my neighbors havent complained about the quacking LOL:thumbsup (And runner ducks cant fly so that you dont have to worry about) for my 2 runners i got one of those $5 baby pools and they love it. i had them on the grower feed for the first 5mths and just switched them. they started laying eggs about 3weeks ago.

Hope this was a little helpful

Let me know if you need anything - Good luck!

5. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Are you looking for a small duck breed or larger? My runners don't fly, and are amazeing layers.

No, ducks don't roost.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have ducks and geese in my large flock, 70 some chickens. They all eat the same thing: Nutrena All Flock. 18% protein. Pellets. I keep crushed oyster shell out for the layers, 24/7, free choice.

My Cayugas cannot fly but they can flap and stand on their tippy toes. Occasionally, if really startled, they can make it two or three inches off the ground for about 10 feet of flight. My call duck pair, on the other hand, can fly like magic. They even HOVER. They will fly over barriers, or to get somewhere faster, and also take a bit of flight in a large circle to come right back to the property. Actually, they fly just within the two-thirds of an acre, never flying out beyond the fence line. Cayugas are pretty good layers.

My geese just get the Zoomies. They start at one end of the driveway and run like the dickens, flapping their wings and honking. They do get some lift and are running on tippy toes, but never get off the ground. It's a game. So much fun to watch, too!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  7. NorthestGeorgia14

NorthestGeorgia14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2011
    Rome Ga
    I would love a duck but don't you have to hhave a pond for them

8. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:Muscovies are known to though but i believe they are the exception [​IMG]

9. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:No, not at all.. many here don't, i don't.. just a bunch of kiddy pools and don't rule out the joy of puddles after a rain [​IMG]

10. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    If your thinking about getting ducks, get at least two. They are very social animals and one will get very lonely unless you can spend a lot of time with it. Most domestic species of ducks cannot fly, Pekins, Rouens, Runners etc. Muscovies make great pets but they do fly short distances. Mine don't fly very often, only in the morning when I first let them out. My ducks just eat layer feed with the chickens. You don't have to have to trough for them to swim in, they really don't need to swim at all although they do enjoy it. I just have a cheap plasic kiddy pool that I refill every week or so. All my ducks free-range, so space really isn't an issue at my place, but I would say 5-6 square feet each inside and about 10 each in a run minumum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by