Thinking about getting a few Chickens...need advice

Dace

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
We live in the suburbs and I would really like to have 3-4 hens to provide us with eggs and entertainment
smile.png

We have a spot for a small hen house and run and I would really like to let them roam freely in our backyard. I had just about had my family convinced until my DH asked about them popping on the patio.

Now, an occasional hosing off I do not mind but I do not want to have a constant mess with flies all the time!

Can anyone give me some insight or advice? I would really love to have our own hens and our own fresh eggs, I don't mind the daily work of feeding, watering, putting them away at night, letting them free in the morning... but I do not want to turn my little yard into a big mess....maybe chickens really are best left to farms?
sad.png

I am in the city with dogs roaming around, so I just let them free range in the backyard when I am there to supervise, sides if you have any kind of garden they can do a number.

So my suggestion is limit their time free ranging & just keep them in the run most of the time, the coop really is just for sleeping & laying (sometimes really bad weather). An hour or 2 before dusk is plenty for free ranging, so that would help. Mine really do not hang out on the concrete too much - scratching produces no really cool bugs or dust bath areas, except for any container plants you have around.....

you can let them freerange in the yard when your home.an you can just use a hoe to get the mess off your patio or hose it off.its not as big of a deal as your making it out tobe.

Quote:
A long time ago we had a couple geese... great fun, but boy did they do a number on the concrete. I know that chickens are not the same, but feel strongly that DH needs to be on board and comfortable with getting chickens otherwise I am setting myself up for future battles which I really don't want.

Seriously, I am not trying to make a big of a deal out of it, if it were just me I would go for it without further concern, but I have to factor in his feelings
smile.png
I do appreciate your reply though!

Quote:
Ohh, they're not *that* different, unfortunately. Chickens do poop a whole great big lot, and seem to prefer the places where they know you don't want the poo
wink.png
It would take a couple few chickens to equal the output of one goose, but, there really is a considerable similarity.

Can I suggest that you build a run attached to your coop, and then just *see* how much free-ranging (i.e. free-pooing
smile.png
) time you and your DH turn out to be comfortable with.

But of course by all means DO get chickens
big_smile.png

Pat

I have gone over board in my thinking the chickens need a huge yard, which we will have because it is there and hubby wants it. From what I have seen on the sites listed there are some darling coops with small runs and the chickens seem to do just great. In fact some of these are just too cute.

My question is, do the chickens even need to be let out of the smller runs and coop area? Or is this just overkill on the human thinking they need freedom.

Thanks

Last edited:
Quote:
I think that is an excellent suggestion. I appreciate the input
smile.png

Quote:
Please please dont take this the wrong way... But I hate that line and mode of thinking.

Our local government had that same line of thinking as they were moving from the city to the country, now people like me have to fight to have a few hens.

Chickens are for everyone
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Ok maybe not everyone.

And again I dont mean anything against you.

you do not have to let them out of the coop an run.unless you want them to freerang in your yard.when we had chickens in the 70s.they had tobe penned all the time.because my dad didnt want them around the dairy at all.because the inspector might throw a fitt.

Quote:
No offense taken at all. I guess I am just disappointed...I got all excited about a great new adventure into the land of pet chickens and fresh eggs and I feel like maybe my enthusiasm has superseded common sense? Maybe there is a reason more people don't have chickens in their backyards. I think it would be wonderful... but I tend to go against the grain a bit
smile.png

Not making it better am I? This just seems like a good place to flush out concerns.

Back
Top Bottom