Thinking about getting a rooster but what breed for my chicks?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by nasus, Jan 25, 2013.

1. nasus

nasus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2013
    Thinking about getting a rooster but what breed for my chicks? I have Tetra Tints and Red Sex Links. I am also interested in the chickens hatching some of the eggs. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Hmmm, I don't think Tetra Tints or Red Sexlinks are known for hatching their own eggs, so it may be a good idea to invest in an incubator (if you don't already have one). Or get yourself a couple of standard Cochin hens or some other breed known for broodiness to be your egg hatchers. That being said, aren't both of your breeds the result of mixing other breeds? If you don't mind mixed breed chicks, get yourself any rooster that strikes your fancy! I've loved my EE roos, beautiful boys! If you can get your hands on a purebred Amerucauna then you have a greater chance of hatching some babies that'll lay colored eggs! I guess a good question to ask yourself is what do you want in a rooster? What do you want from the resulting chicks hatched from your roo?
    Sorry, don't think I was much help :gig Good luck!
    Nikki

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I kind of agree with the above. Since you have sex-link hens, there's no chance of ending up with a pure anything since they don't breed true. Just get whatever you like!

4. nasus

nasus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2013
    Thanks for the input. I don't mind mixed breeds of chickens but then I've never had pure bred chickens to compare. I will purchase a chicken breed known for her broodiness and hopefully find a free rooster. Thanks for your help.

5. chickenman700

chickenman700 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013
    I would use a barred rock on them.

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Lots of folks will step up for saying what goes broody a lot and there are many breeds that do. Then others will disagree because they had the same breed that was not. I'd say either the barred rock or an orpington, myself. So far as broody. For barred rocks, some get them and they are flighty and misbehave and others get them and they're calm and wonderful. Same with the Orps I guess. But those breeds are pretty good picks overall. Just keep in mind that having the breed be known for being broody doesn't guarantee they will be. Or friendly, in the case of the roos.

7. nasus

nasus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2013
    Thanks. I know I'm spoiled. I don't have chicken problems because my hens are simply good girls who free range and then make it back to the coop in time. No misbehaving or even mean chicks, thankfully. I'm a little hesitant to upset the apple cart, so to speak, because I have my chicks are good hens. I will look for a barred rock and/or orpingtons. Thanks again.

8. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Many of the strains of Buckeyes go broody a lot -- ask the particular breeder you buy them from. Buckeye hens are notoriously calm, friendly & easy-going. They are also excellent, active foragers.

Also, crossing two traditional non-broody breeds will often/likely bring out the broodiness trait in the offspring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by