Thinking about getting a rooster... Help me decide.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tknjk, Dec 15, 2008.

1. tknjk

tknjk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2007
    Abilene, TX
    Right now I have a coop big enough to house 10 or so chickens very comfortably.
    I have 3 buff rocks, 3 black austorlorps, and 1 barred rock. All hens. They are all
    just shy of 8 weeks old. I live in town, but there are a couple people within a few
    block radius of me that have a rooster, because I hear them crowing. I don't
    really know what I would need a rooster for other than the sheer curiosity, and
    enjoyment of looking at it, and once in a while hatching a few eggs.

My main goal when I started the whole chicken raising idea was for egg production,
    and of course I needed another hobby to keep me occupied. If I get a rooster will
    I still be able to collect eggs daily, and not have to worry about the really nasty
    bloody eggs. This is for my wife not me. She will not touch an egg if it looks like it
    has blood in it. The worst case scenario is that I got a rooster, and it didn't work
    out, and I had to give him up. Which is no problem. I have several friends that live
    in the country, and raise chickens, and would take them with no problems. So to
    sum up my lengthy drawn out question. Should I get a rooster, and judging by the
    breeds I told you I already have what breed of rooster should I get?

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I say why not [​IMG] And I'm going with Barred Rock, just because I think they are handsome [​IMG]

3. tknjk

Nov 28, 2007
    Abilene, TX
    One more question. If I get decide to get one how do I go about integrating him into
    the flock of hens I have already without them pecking him to death?

4. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I say go for it... I have an accidental rooster (he was supposed to be a she) and I LOVE him so much! He's sweet, has tons of personality and does a great job of protecting his ladies. My boy is a Silver Laced Wyandotte and my girls are: 1 Black Australorp and 2 (bantam) Millie Fleur d'Uccles. One of my d'Uccles is broody and setting, so my boy just might be a daddy real soon. If so, they're going to be some very interesting looking chickens! [​IMG]

In summary...

YES to should you get one, and I vote for a SLW. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2008
  5. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Well, there are really 3 reasons that I can think of to have a roo. First, to fertilize the eggs so you can hatch babies. Second, if the girls free range the roos will watch out for them and alert them to any danger. Third, you want one. If you don't want to hatch eggs, the girls stay in their pen, and you don't necessarily want one, then I'd say no. Some can be aggressive toward people or even the hens, they make noise, the crowing is louder up close than you'd expect, and it's one more beak to feed for no reason. The girls will make eggs with or without the big guy. I like a good rooster, but then I'm a hatchaholic. [​IMG]

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    At 8 weeks of age.... I don't think you need to worry too much unless you get a super young chick. If you can find something close in age I think you will be fine. But remember the 30 day quarantine.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Roosters are good for all the reasons BeckyLa mentioned and remember what guitartists said about quarantining. Try to find a roo about the same size as your little pullets.
    If you collect your eggs daily you don't have to worry about any little surprises.
    As far as blood spots go, hate to break it to your wife but you can get those with or without a roo.
    Another thing to keep in mind. Once your rooster gets mature his mind is going to turn towards mating. Mating in chickens is not pretty, especially with young inexperienced roos. Some people find they can't stand it because it looks like the hens are taking a beating. They end up getting rid of their rooster for doing what roosters do best.
    At 8 weeks are you absolutely without a doubt positive you have all pullets?

9. tknjk

Nov 28, 2007
    Abilene, TX
    Quote:No. I'll go take a couple pics, and tell me what ya'll think. Be back in a few.

10. tknjk

Nov 28, 2007
    Abilene, TX
    Here they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by