Thinking about getting a turkey and possibly a duck or 3

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ridgefire, Feb 8, 2009.

1. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    How much room does a turkey need?

How about a run for ducks, I know building size they dont need much room but how about outdoor run space? This may sound silly but do ducks require a pond to swim in or will they be fine with out.

2. backyardchickenfarmer

backyardchickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Toms river, New jersey
    I cant tell you about turkeys but i do know about ducks, ducks require 10 sq. feet of space per bird.and you dont need a pond but a small kiddie pool you can get at walmart works great. like i said they dont need it but there ducks and they love to swim so if you can i would do it. the duckies would be very happy [​IMG] [​IMG] i keep a kiddie pool in my pen and they love it! but dont do it in the winter, sometimes the ducks will fall asleep in the pool and if you pool feezes they will get stuck in the ice [​IMG] good luck!

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I agree...even though many ducks don't NEED a pond, they LOVE the water and really enjoy their pool time. Until I finish my pond, my ducks get their pool time by swimming in an under the bed storage container filled with water [​IMG]

4. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    You can also buy the cement mixer plastic containters at Lowes, or the rubber trough typ of thing at TSC thats what we used inside for our duckies outside I used the swimming pool and a 100 gallon (I think) watering trough buried in the ground. for both geese and ducks. Crystal

5. ridgefire

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Oh man thats a great idea to bury a trough or cement tub thing. Why spend big bucks on a preformed pond which is what I was thinking I needed.

I knew there was a reason I loved this place. [​IMG]

6. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Why spend big bucks on a preformed pond which is what I was thinking I needed

That's what I have, but I got it cheap from a neighbor who installed it and then never refilled it or used it for the next 3 years..LOL​

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Ducks love to make a mess of their water, so make sure whatever you choose for their water container can be easily cleaned.

8. ridgefire

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    We are only talking about getting a pair of ducks, 1 turkey and 10 more hens for the laying flock, and 25 for the freezer.

9. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Ducks do best in trios (1 boy 2 girls) unless you are just getting girls.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  10. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    Do ducks and geese lay eggs without a drake/gander around?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by