Thinking about getting an incubator!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ket806, Dec 22, 2012.

1. ket806

ket806 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2012
    Hello my hatching friends! I have been seriously pondering about getting a bator! I am a stay at home mom and think it would be fun for me and my daughter! What all do I need to know before getting one??!! What are the pros and cons?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Have you looked at this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...hing-eggs-important-topic-index-please-review

It will tell you everything you need to know about incubators, collecting hatching eggs, incubation, assisted hatch... It's great!

The pros of hatching eggs is it's huge fun and very addictive! It's an amazing educational experience for kids too. You will bond with the chicks easier than with a broody hatch as you will be their mom.

For the pro's and cons of different incubators you'll have to look around this section and read the threads. There has been quite a few discussions on the different models. If you would like to build your own look under Frequently Asked Questions, if you scroll past the site related questions you will find chicken questions and there is a number of threads under "How To Build an Incubator".

Have fun!

3. ket806

Dec 7, 2012
    Oh awesome THANK YOU!!!!!!

4. ket806

Dec 7, 2012
    What does it mean by the thread is locked?

5. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    The staff generally lock the sticky threads as they have everything in there that they want and don't want a discussion going on in there. Then if someone wants to add something like a link they PM one of the staff and ask them to add it. Sometimes threads get locked on the forum because the members participating on it broke the rules or started an argument or asked the staff to lock it so the discussion is ended. Once it's locked it can be viewed, but you can't post on it anymore.

6. ket806

Dec 7, 2012
    Oh ok I wasn't sure if my enter er was acting up or not

7. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Don't worry, I saw the lack of reply options on a thread the other day and also suspected a problem with my computer. I went onto the thread via my profile, so I didn't see the lock symbol until I got to the end of the thread. But you'd think after more than a year on here I'd know! [​IMG]

8. ket806

Dec 7, 2012
    Lol I learn everyday on this thing I just joined not to long ago

9. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    First thing to do is set a budget and figure out how serious or not you want to be about hatching.

always remember if you buy the least expensive you may not get the best hatches.

10. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Broody hens- They take care of the tempture control , humidity , turning and general care of the eggs, plus there isnt much cuter then seeing babies peeking out of mommies feathers or sitting on her back, she also takes care of the temputer control , and teaching chicks to eat and drink once they have hatched as well as takeing care of them , you dont have to worry about chicks getting to warm or to cold or fires from heat lamps and you dont have to pay for ectricity for running brooder or incubator. If your hen is comfertble around you you can still spend time with her and the chicks and socialize them maybe not to the extent as a really hands on mommy with incubator chicks though. Possible avrage cost includeing chicken and feed is probly 25-50 but can range less or alot more depending.

Incubtor- Once you buy , set up and run the incubator especally a good quaility one there isnt huge headaches involved for the most part , you will need a good thermomemter and and way to tell humidity, You will need to check on the bator daily at least to double check temp and humidity, if you dont have a turner you will need to mark the eggs and hand turn them at least 3 times a day. Incubators take electricity and a stable room with a aproiprate place to plug in the bator and possibley the turner. Its so amazeing to watch the little ones hatch. You will then need a brooder box , this can be lots of things , a heat lamp or some time of brooder heater, these take electricity and space , and baby chickies are very dusty [​IMG] , the more you spend time talking with them holding them feeding them treats and interacting with them the calmer and more friendly your chicks are likely to be. Possible avrage cost includeing bator , brooder , heat source , and gadgets such as thermometers ect your looking at 50-350 this is just a very vuage general range from home made bator with stuf you have laying around mostly to a moderatley priced bator and brooder plus gadgets.
    Dont forget you do get what you pay for so the cheaper the bator the less likely you are to have good hatches consistantly

I dont think one is better then the other if its right for the person thats doing it , it just depends on what the persons needs and wants are , do you want fluffy squeeky peeping balls of fluff needing your attention and care for 6 weeks or so , or is it more fun to watch a chicken doing what broody chickens do best? Its all about you . How much time do you have , you might be a stay at home mom but do you have other hobbies , and intrests that you dont want interupted by peeping balls of fluff that can be down right demanding on occasion? Or do you have alot of extra time and are you a really hands on person?

When it comes to stryo bators this one is he best acording to years of reading and lots of reviews on back yard chickens http://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=77
    You can buy it at that sight or from places like our sponsers here , brinsea, my pet chicken , chickens for back yards and probly a dozen other sites just type in the name of the bator and the modle number in a search engine and you can locate alot of places , check sevral sme have it for cheaper then others but they get you on shipping , while some have free shipping but tack extra bucks on
    For non styro bators you have
    http://www.brinsea.com/products/mini.html the eco and the advance have seen positive reviews here but they only hold 7-10 eggs , witch can be perfect for small flock people and people that dont want or have a way to sale , giveaway or eat the extra chicks you can fit in to one of the 35+ egg incubators. Same thing goes check all our sponser sites for price of bator and shipping to see what is the best deal. They also make larger bators such as octogon 20 eco and advance , octogon 40 eco and advance ect . They can get pretty expensive but if you have the money are a extremlly good option.
    You also have ones such as
    http://www.strombergschickens.com/product/Rcom-Mini/advanced-incubators , this type of incubator also comes in sevral sizes and price tags and is avalible as servral places
    or
    http://www.strombergschickens.com/product/Turn-X-6-Incubator-Manual-Turning/advanced-incubators
    There are a few small dome like bators for 20-30 bucks out there , I have only heard of one or two people ever getting an egg to hatch from these as they dont have any temp control and basically is a bowel with a light bulb.
    You can also make your own incubator and this can be alot of fun and Can be cheaper then a store bought bator .
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-egg-incubator-designs-pictures there are lots of other links I am sure , Sally sunshine has an amazeing link about the incubator her husband and duaghter made with lots of advice and detail and even videos.

I dont know as much about broody chickens as I havent had one of these yet but I do know that certian breeds are more likely to go broody for you , so if you dont have chickens yet or non of your birds has shown any interest in brooding chicks for you you can look into getting one (if you have chickens already and only want one) or at least 2 and 3 is better if you dont have any chickens. A few breeds i have heard that go broody and make good moms are
    Silkies , Cochin , Orpington , and Wyndotte Im sure if you go to the broody hen thread and read or ask questions about this lots of people would be wiling to suggest good broodies.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by