Thinking about getting another dog..... *UPDATE post 19*

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Lothiriel, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    We have one dog. She's a 10 year old Aussie and she's an angel! But she's not a very good watch/guard dog, and she's getting old. So we've been looking all over Petfinder and craigslist for a puppy. But we are in such a toss-up! We are looking mainly at collies/collie mixes, Aussies/Aussie mixes, and stuff. Most of the mixes are with a Lab.

We've never had problems with Ginger (our Aussie) and my chickens. She's been wonderful with them. She's amazing with kids too - we got her when my brother was just born, so as he grew up he would climb all over her, and then my little sister came along and did the same thing. She's never roamed. She's my baby. <3 I love my Aussie...

In the past we've had 2 mixed dogs. One was a German Shepherd/collie or lab mix, and the other was a lab/husky. The lab/husky was always jumping our 6+ foot fence. Was that from the lab or the husky?

The German mix was a very good dog - until us kids came along. We kind of shoved her out of the way... But in the worst she ever did was growl a little.

Collies... We have no experience with them! A few of our neighbors have Border collies though. Yesterday we saw one of them at the end of our driveway... Does anyone have experience with collies roaming? We need a dog that won't roam - we got fed up with it and sold the lab/husky. And we've read that Border collies are extremely hyper...

So what sort of advice do you all have? Are Labs good with kids and chickens? Would a lab/collie or lab/aussie mix be a good idea? Purebred Aussie? Collie? We won't be doing any fancy stuff - no showing, no agility, just regular walks and working with our animals.

So.. A summary of what we most definitely want in a dog:
    *Good with kids, cats, chickens, and another dog
    *Good guard dog
    *Good watch dog
    *Does not roam
    *Not hyperactive
    *Will relax indoors and behave
    *Medium size

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    From my experiences, collies are very good dogs. Jumping the fence-husky! Huskys are very hyperactive. There is an exception to every rule tho'. Labs fall in the category of what you are looking for. Collies too. I have an aussie, she is good with my birds, calm, smart. Good luck with your choice. You can probably research all breeds of dogs and their personalities on certain websites. http://www.dogguide.net/breeds.php

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  3. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
  4. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    First off Collies and Border Collies are VERY different breeds with VERY different temperaments. I had Collies when my kids were small and they put up with a LOT from those kids. They were all house dogs and were always kept in a fenced yard when they were outside, so I cannot say they will not roam if you let them loose. But they were not diggers or jumpers and always willing to stay inside our privacy fence. They were also couch potatoes--not at all hyper/wildly active like Border Collies are. They were very gentle souls, always kind, and very sweet. They do take a TON of brushing if you don't want sores, fleas, etc. I put in at least an hour a week on each dog just in brushing that massive rough coat, so they do take a commitment in that regard.

I do miss them, but they stayed with the kids and their mom when I didn't. Great dogs!

Rusty

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Thanks everyone! (Is there any wonder I love BYC?)

Kaitie, I went to that site puppyfinder.com, and we all went through the questions together. We did it twice. Both times, the Aussie came up as the breed that matched the closest. It's little profile thing was perfect. Hmmm... maybe it just means that we should stick with them... [​IMG] I'm partial to Aussies myself. But my sister is going gung-ho for the Rough coat (aka sable) collie. Just because it's a different dog. Most of the dogs we see around here are labs, golden retrievers, and sometimes a boxer. (Those too, btw, are a really good dog from the looks of it.) So we want a dog that would kind of stand out, you know... Well. I've seen collies around. Aussies? Never! Man.. I just live Aussies... [​IMG]

We really don't think a Border Collie is at all good for us. On that dogguide.net it has the energy levels for the breeds... Border Collie: Full Throttle! x_x

Hmmm.... How about an Aussie/Collie/Boxer mix? [​IMG] Then we could all be happy!

What about a Belgian sheepdog? Bullmastiffs? They looked like they'd be good guard dogs and good with kids. Anyone know if they're good with chickens?

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    There are actually other breeds besides the german shepherd?!?!? [​IMG]

My family owned several collie/GSD mixes when I was growing up. The best of both breeds. [​IMG]

7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I went to the puppyfinder website too.....that was just fun!!!!!

8. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:This is definitely a great mix---should have been standardized as a breed!

9. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    I enjoy our Standard poodle. He is a joy to have...

*Good with kids, cats, chickens, and another dog He's good with chickens. If the kids don't pressure him he's usually fine. He was a bit scared of cats I think. I don't know about another dog.
    *Good guard dog For chickens? If so, he would chase away a predator. He has gone chasing prowling animals into the woods.
    *Good watch dog He barks at any car that drives up, anybody walking up the driveway, anybody strange, etc.
    *Does not roam He has never left our property unless we take him away.
    *Not hyperactive He's mostly calm. He does get extremely excited if someone comes home or visits, however.
    *Will relax indoors and behave We taught him not to get on the furniture and not to go in certain rooms. Normally he lies on his bed or around the house.
    *Medium size His shoulders come up around the eight-year-old's belly button.

10. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

So.. A summary of what we most definitely want in a dog:
    *Good with kids, cats, chickens, and another dog
    *Good guard dog
    *Good watch dog
    *Does not roam
    *Not hyperactive
    *Will relax indoors and behave
    *Medium size

That rules out any terriers, beagles, and who knows what else, LOL! (There are exceptions to every rule as you know, I have two Border Terriers who do not roam, but probably good training as they were in agility for years) I would have to say any Aussie, German Shepherd, or Cocker mix would be a good choice. I love the characteristics of all three breeds (especially my Cocker Spaniel [​IMG] )
    I use to run agility competitions and find that these three breeds are wonderful animals and could possibly fit all your requirements no problem. if you could get a mix of one of these particular breeds and save it from the pound that would be great!!
    Good luck in choosing your new dog [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by