Thinking about getting another indoor pet!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by animalgirl12, Jan 8, 2014.

1. animalgirl12

animalgirl12 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2012
    I am thinking I want another indoor pet after my rabbits died but I want something smaller like the a rat or a ferret. My mom hates ferrets because they stink. Is there any way to make them not stink as much? I have had mice before and I don't like them. I also want to know if rats smell horrible?

I want to know the pros and cons of ferrets and rats

thanks!

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    My housemates rats always smelled sweetly of the aspen shaving bedding. He also kept their cage incredibly clean. It was actually a huge chinchilla cage, many levels for maximum space for them to run, play with toys, chill in hammocks, etc. Boy rats can have a little more of an odor, but they're also more chill than females. Keep their cage clean to eliminate most odor problems.

You cannot get just one rat. They are very social creatures, and do very poorly when kept alone. They play with each other, groom, snuggle, and basically spend all their time together. My housemate had three girls, and they were very spoiled, happy ratties.

No experience with ferrets. I am told the premade feeds contribute to their odor problem. Also that those feeds are terrible for them. You see, ferrets, like cats, are obligate carnivores. They should have no grains in their diet, only meat. Manufactured dry foods need grain to act as a 'glue' in the feeds, so right off the bat, it is bad for them.

3. animalgirl12

Aug 27, 2012
    Thanks! I think I am wanting a rat more than a ferret because I found they need a much bigger cage than rats and I do not have the room.

4. animalgirl12

Aug 27, 2012
    for a huge cage that the ferrets would need

5. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Rats still need as large a cage as you can provide. A small cage would lead to increased odors and boredom. They are very active animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by