Thinking about getting ducks this Spring

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AnotherKim, Feb 2, 2014.

1. AnotherKim

AnotherKim Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2012
    Tell me about your favorite breeds and why you like them so much. I live in the hot, dry desert of Southern Arizona. What ducks are best suited to 100+ degree , DRY summers (until Monsoon Season), and 60-70 degree, dry winters. I only want females, because I don't want to breed. And I'm hoping to (maybe)sell the eggs to bakeries.

Please share your favorite duck-raising sites and books, too. I need all of the info I can get.

Thanx

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My favorite breed is Muscovy but I have to be honest and say it's the only breed I've ever had, The first came as rescues from the river and since I started with Muscovy's just haven't gotten into any other breed but there are many others I'd like to have one of these days. Muscovy's are called the quackless ducks because they are quiet, they do make noise though and they wag their tails too. Ducks make a noise that sounds like trilling drakes huff and hiss all are very good as back yard ducks they do get large and can fly. Love to brood and when they aren't brooding lay well from Spring to fall. They are a calm breed to. My favorite duck site is right here on BYC and I also like the book Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks By Dave Holderread. Muscovy's coming from South America would most likely fit into your climate.

3. AnotherKim

May 23, 2012
    Thank you. It looks like a cute duck, too.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  5. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    i like my mallards and my muscovy but if you want a duck for eggs the mallards and muscovy dont lay that many eggs a year they mostlly lay until they get a clutch of eggs to hatch if you want a breed of ducks for eggs i would say pekin,buffs,Khaki Campbell,welsh harlequin,and runners they are all good for eggs

6. AnotherKim

May 23, 2012
    Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking about Campbells now.

7. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    that is all of the breeds i could think of for the eggs good luck let me know when you pick a breed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by