thinking about getting freedom rangers

Well I don't think it's too late, but you're in Ohio which gets colder sooner than in Tennessee. Just know how cold its gonna be 16 weeks after you get them, because that's how long you'll be keeping them and when you'll be butchering them outside (unless you pay someone). If you've never done freedom rangers before you'll need a way to feed and water them, a structure for them to be kept at night, and a safe place to range. I like Welp hatchery, but it's because the shipping from other hatcheries make it more expensive and Welp doesn't have an extra charge for shipping. I havn't done freedom rangers yet but plan to do half rangers and half cornishx this go round to see the differences in feed to weight and overall cost. When I ordered 25 CornishX form Welp I got 26 and they all survived the ride.

Cornish Rocks are the ones for 8 weeks, is that what you were wanting?
ETA: Sorry I think you can acctually start butchering at 10 weeks for freedom rangers, regular roosters are 16 weeks. SORRY!

Last edited:
I think most of us on this forum have processed our Rangers in the 9-12 week range. I didn't know Welp had colored broilers but several of us got Rangers from JM Hatchery this year. The owners there are really helpful and will help you decide if you have time to raise them this year. If you do a forum search for Freedom Rangers you'll find several helpful threads.

Mrs. Mucket :

I think most of us on this forum have processed our Rangers in the 9-12 week range. I didn't know Welp had colored broilers but several of us got Rangers from JM Hatchery this year. The owners there are really helpful and will help you decide if you have time to raise them this year. If you do a forum search for Freedom Rangers you'll find several helpful threads.

Welp doesn't offer Freedom Rangers, I'd be getting them from somewhere else. Didn't think of that
roll.png
can you tell my mind is fried for the week?​

JM Hatchery charges $1.50 per chick if you get 50 or more. Welp doesn't offer them.

I would hold off until Spring at this point if you haven't done them before.

I am planning on getting mine starting in March and then getting another order every 30 days for six months. I will be doing a meat CSA so they will be pre sold before ordering. If they are butchered at 10 weeks, I will never have more than 150 at any given time, and that amount will be here only in mid Summer. Then I will order the last batch to arrive in August and call it quits until the following year.

I just butchered my JM Freedom Rangers. I was happy with them, but at this point, depending on where you live (temperature,) I'd go with the Cornish X's. Plan on 3 months before butchering Rangers, as opposed to 2 months for the Cornish X's.

10-12 weeks would do it for Rangers. I think you'd be fine starting now, I think it is the heat that slows them down more than the cold after they're a few weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom