Thinking about getting some Muscovy's

sandesnow

Songster
9 Years
Nov 20, 2013
Nova Scotia Canada
So..am thinking of getting some Muscovy ducks. (wanting a drake too) What is the going price for these types? I had read somewhere that they are or can be invasive. (meaning they can get out of hand fast if not careful). I think I might have a connection for some 10 week olds, but am unsure if 25 per duck is a normal price. (I didn't pay that much for my chooks!)

Also, what will I be needing for some that young? At this age are they ready to go outdoors and mull around? Any advice would be great! I am not wanting a huge flock of them, so am wondering if that may be why the price is so high. Or is it because they can be used for meat as well?

Are there other types that are strictly just good layers? Or is this an all around good duck to have? I have also read that these are seasonal layers.. I am not sure what this fully means, as I had heard they are good layers. Is this correct or should I be looking for a breed that lays more full time as we are wanting them for eggs.

At this time I have not used any birds for meats yet, but might in the future.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.=)

I am not an expert in Muscovies but:

10 week old ducks will still need to stay in a separate cage (If you have other animals) they at 10 weeks will probably be in their juvenile stage and fully feathered, make sure you have a pond (Kiddie pool,plastic tub) I will warn you that they will need a perch to sleep on, if you want baby ducklings from them then muscovys are the breed to have them, mother will go broody like crazy, seasonal layers means that they will lay all year round and in the winter,

Search your area to see what the going rate is. Its definitely high in some places and low in others. But color and pattern drives prices too.
Here in maine, they are fairly easy to find. You can get ducklings as low as $5, adults for $10-15. But I breed more rare/hard to find patterns such as barred. I also have my flocks tested annually to ensure my health certification, and I show. So my birds are $10 for ducklings, $40-50 for adults. So definitely shop around to see what you are getting and if the price is reasonable for what they are.

10 weeks old should be ok outside. Here it's 70s during the day and low 60s at night. I coop mine at night but they free range during the day. 10 weeks old should be mostly feathered but if you worry about them, then put a heat lamp in their coop. That way they can use it if they feel the need.

They are EXCELLENT for meat as the males get BIG and they are less fatty than other breeds. Females can lay up to 150 eggs per year if you collect them, but they are superb broody ducks and will propagate like rabbits if you let them. SO in that sense, they can be invasive. So just watch them and make sure you don't let them breed what they want. Only breed for your own use and what you know you'll be able to sell. But they are quiet (don't quack) and very friendly. Easy to hand tame.

If you want eggs year round (muscovy will only lay april/may through sept/oct) go with khaki campbells or welsh harlequins. Those out-laid my chickens even in extreme cold weather

25$ is high not in your province but am in Canada, while prices do likely vary. Why are they asking that? what colour are the birds at that aging meeting SOP will be hard to tell.

I did pay 25$ for a duck several months old who met SOp(she's a solid black) but normally would not pay that for one.

As for scovies @ 10wks they'd need to be penned, while i free range my flock(have a mama out there who is ranging with her clutch that just hatched friday night) i would not allow young without a mama do so.

Seasonally laying, mine usually cease in Oct and resume in Feb. They lay well during that time and quite big eggs. Muscovy in general are documented for their fly catching ability and are great foragers. They are also the least noisy, i keep other breeds here and they make way more noise than the entire flock of Muscovy and they are the largest flock.

Thanks for the reply's everyone. I have to say, the birds are gorgeous! Some pics: (He states he has 9 females and 6 males)

Edited

I have been looking around and the only reason I can come up with is that there aren't many around that are being sold or something. The person I am talking with is willing to come down some, as I explained that they were for my children and for overall life experiences. He is happy that they would be going to a good home that can give lots of attention to them. So.. around 13 each. Which I am much more happy to pay.

Yes, most definitely will be penning them. They also will be housed in a small barn. (Small sectioned off area for now until they are a bit bigger.)

Last edited:
She is beautiful!

Only taking 4 females and 1 male. He seems to know quite a bit, but to my untrained ear, anyone does! lol So I have been doing some research on sexing to be as sure as possible that I am getting females. Even though I understand even then, it isn't 100% (I have been like a rabid dog when it comes to researching, videos, images, sounds... lol) Unlike when we got our hens over a year ago. Jumped feet first then asked questions later.. not a wise thing to do, but, learned from mistakes! (I can honestly say I don't regret it at all no matter what!)

I will be looking at size differences, leg thickness and placement.. voices. lol Hopefully he does know what sexes he has.

Last edited:
It's hard to tell for sure in those pics, but at that age the genders should be VERY OBVIOUS. If they all look about the same size, then they are likely all the same gender.
You won't be able to tell by voice as muscovy don't quack like other duck breeds.

One other way is the feathers around the tail. At this age, the females feather out faster than the large, growing males. So they will have all feathers while the males will still have some baby fuzz or smaller/shorter feathers on either side of the tail. I have some the same age so can try to get a pic or two to show you for comparison.

So... This is kinda old, but ended up not getting the ducks. The price kept being dickered over, and once agreed upon for the price, again, the person still asked for more.. So I ended up not getting them because I feel that once an agreement is made, that the pricing is final. When it comes to trades, I am a firm believer that the transaction should be soothe and lack issues or it wasn't meant to be. Considering how harsh of a winter we had (and are still having here in Nova Scotia,) I am kinda glad I didn't take on another type of bird. The amount of snow we have on the ground is astonishing. Our whole acre of land is one huge snowbank 4 feet deep. (It had melted back to about 3 feet last week, but this weekend we had another foot+ fall to replace what had melted off. I am so ready for Winter to end. lol

So...back to the drawing board!

Last edited:

Finally bit the bullet and bought some Muscovies. lol This pic is nearing a month old. Bought them Aug 1 at 4 weeks of age, turned out the 3 Muscovies I did buy, is 1 male and two female. Couldn't be happier, however the other three ducks I bought, I am nearly certain are all drakes, so they have to go. =( Really love all three, but... meh.

Back
Top Bottom