1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thinking about getting some OEGB...........

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by littlecreekfarm, Dec 21, 2011.

1. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    Okay so I am thinking about starting a flock of Silver Duckwing OEGB. I saw some at a show and they are absolutely beautiful. I have some questions about them.

1. Are the cockerels friendly?

2. How do the pullets lay?

3. Are they a lot of work to show?

4. Are the friendly?

5. How much do they usually cost?

6. they are recognized by the APA right?

Thanks and if anyone has some pictures they would like to share I would love to see some.

Is there a thread for this breed?

-Erin

2. littlecreekfarm

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    Anyone? I'm also wondering if their combs have to be dubbed?

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    yes you must dub combs

some are friendly others fight like crazy...depends on the bird

lots of folks show them so it is easy to find birds...it is very competitive

cost depends on lots of things so basically as much as you have to spend

very much recognized

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Quote:Do a search for old English thread, read through that, it will answer most of your questions.
    APA recognized, yes.
    Friendly, yes for the most part, case by case basis.
    Cost, all depends on what you want. From $10 a bird to over $100 a bird, depends on quality and who you buy from.
    Hard to show? Not any worse than most other birds, all depends on how competitive you want to be.
    Do the hens lay well? Case by case basis, many show birds are inbred, that can and will effect their fertility.
    Are the cockerels friendly? Case by case again, but a good rooster will defend his hens, its in his genetic code.

5. GotGame

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Quote:If you only plan on showing hens, you don't need to dub. Run a strong hen line and dubbing isn't necessary. They can still freeze in the winter though.

6. littlecreekfarm

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    Thanks Everyone! I really think I am going to get a few of these. I like the silver duckwing and blue wheaten

7. lilcritters

lilcritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2011
    White Church Missouri
    I have 3 hens and a breeding roo of Self Blues.

1 The roo is really friendly, and one hen I raised tends to try to peck at me when I try to get her out. Not bad enough to bother me, iI think she is looking for a treat.

2 I get one egg every 2 days from my hens right now but I think it will go up. I just started feeding them 22% breeder food.

3 Don't know about showing yet. Hope to start next year.....

4 In general they are a friendly breed. I have a Mutt that is just my buddy. Everytime I got out to feed he flies up and sits on my shoulder.. Loves to be held! But like any breed you are going to have your pains...

5 I bought my trio for $45. He was selling out of SB so I think that was a really low price.

6 Already see that it was answered!

I Love my OEB! they are my favorite breed for sure. Can't wait to hatch the eggs I have been getting.

April

[​IMG]

8. GotGame

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    22% is a little high imo. 18 to 20% is all you really need, and many ppl get by with 15 to 16% protein. Just a thought.

9. lilcritters

lilcritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2011
    White Church Missouri
    That's what the feed store told me people feed their breeders.... beats me..... Don't have anyone here in the area to talk to so I'm fling solo...

April

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by