thinking about hatching silkies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by incubatingisfun, Aug 15, 2010.

1. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    i just want a really really good broody that is docile(of course not when shes broody) and i was thinking silkies what do you think? and was just going to keep two hens out of what i hatch

2. Shannon33

Shannon33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Well I am new to chickens, just started this year, but someone suggested silkies because of temperament and I love them! I didn't even handle them much as chicks and they are all very calm. Two even try to sit on my lap if I go out in the pen with them. Even my rooster is very sweet. They are like little pets, lol. They are only six months old and one of them just started sitting on some eggs two days ago (after I bought an incubator because someone told me chickens wouldn't brood until they were a year, lol) I have some eggs in the incubator now, my first hatching attempt, so far so good!

3. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    awsome im glad that you already have a broody silkie i think im gonna buy some

4. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    there is NO better breed of chicken for brooding, than a Silkie

very protective of their eggs and chicks when predators come around, but remain gentle with their "humans"

5. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    i just set 12 silkie eggs, at 8 this morning, cant wait, i also have 6 that are about 12 weeks old, love the little fuzzy buts

6. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Mrs. Fluffy puffy know a lot about Silkies!
    I am sure she would give you good advice and help as she's had them a good while.

Oesdog

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  8. Hi! My bantam Cochins and CochinxSilkie crosses are great broodies --- better even than my Silkies!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

9. thunderwagn

thunderwagn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Colorado
    They do make excellent hatchers AND mothers! They pull it off with ease. Too bad they cant handle more eggs lol. That being said, I do get tired of a couple of mine going broody ALL THE TIME! It gets a little old.

10. incubatingisfun

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    thanks for the info everyone i will get some silkie eggs when i get back to alaska and im okay with them being broody all the time it gives me a exscuse to hatch more eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by