Thinking about hatching some of my own, next year.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Stephen518, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Stephen518

Stephen518 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Riverview
    I am interested in trying to hatch some chicks myself next year. I have a lot to learn. Any suggestions? Best books etc? Best incubator?

2. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Research lots of great info here.

3. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    i am too ill be taggin along and watching this thread

4. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    Definitely read the sticky in this category, and check Google for pictures of candled eggs. Will you be having eggs shipped? Lots on info on that, too. You'll have a blast! [​IMG]

5. Stephen518

May 24, 2011
    Riverview
    Actually, I am hoping to use my own Roo. Do not have him yet though. Is there a problem with putting a younger Roo with hens that are 1 year old? My hens were hatched on April 29, 2011. I do not want to raise more until next summer and I was going to go find me a Roo in the spring of 2012. I will be looking for a Barred Rock Roo. Since I want just one I will have to find him locally maybe thru the 4H clubs. The fair always has some very nice Roo's for sale. I know that they would be a bit expensive there but the kids get the money so I do not mind. Anyway, that is were I stand at the moment.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Yes, read the stickies and follow the posts in the incubating and hatching section. Go to your local library and check out the books there. You can also check the extension websites for pretty good information, but remember a lot of that stuff is more for commercial operations. Be a bit careful interpretting what you read.

Often mature hens will brutalize a young rooster. They expect a rooster to act a certain way, protecting them, finding them food, breaking up fights and keeping peace in their flock. They also want one that is so self-assured and has such confidence in himself that he WOW's them with his magnificent personality. I've had roosters that could do that at 15 weeks, but those are really rare. I strongly suggest you get one about a year old if you are adding a rooster to mature hens.

7. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    ^^ Great info, Ridgerunner! I had no clue about that aspect, as I'm "not supposed to" have roo's out here where I live.

That being said, however, I did have myself a very sweet and handsome roo a few years ago that I called "Scout," as he was always the first one out of the coop, always the first one to check out any potential danger. He was a really cool rooster. I was really tore up when I had to get rid of him, and he was a barred rock. Stunning-looking birds, really.

Best of luck to you!

8. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree 100% with these statements. The new boy should be old enough and secure enough to take charge from the get go. He will treat the ladies with respect and take excellent care of them. A young rooster will be resented and "brutalized". He will mature slowly, as his self asteem will be stunted.

Here`s a great article on broody hens.......Pop

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

9. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Your rooster should be fine - as stated above he could be pushed around a bit, although for example I just put a 4 month rooster with some 2 year hens, and after 5 days he was the top of the pecking order.

Don't put your rooster with too many hens, or else he won't be able to mate with them all and therefore won't provide most of the eggs with even fertility. In other words you will have a lot of infertile ones.

Storey's Guide to raising chickens by G. Damerow is a very good book. There are also many posts on breeding them on the forum.

Good luck! MW

10. Stephen518

May 24, 2011
    Riverview
    There have been some great comments and ideas. Thanks to everyone for there replies. I am looking forward to next years fun. My girls are just starting to lay and that is exciting enough for now. Hatching our own flock next year should be a kick in the pants. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by