1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

thinking about keeping the cockerel after all - ?'s

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cptbahama, Jun 14, 2011.

1. cptbahama

cptbahama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    augusta, georgia
    I posted this in the gender forum and it seems to be confirmed that the Ameraucana is a cockerel. I'm considering keeping him but I have several questions. My wife's main concerns are pretty standard - the crowing and the behavior of the mature rooster.

1- Of all the common breeds of roo's, how do the Ameraucana's rank as far as friendliness?

2- He is about 16 weeks now. What kinds of things can I do to sway him to be a gentle roo? Is this possible or will he be his own character no matter what kind of upbringing he has?

3- What are some good arguments I can give my wife to bring her around to siding with me? I'm sure you can share some good reasons for having a roo that I am unaware of.

4- I assume that fertilized eggs are treated the same as if I didn't have a rooster, correct?

We live outside the city so no ordinances to worry with. And the neighbors are far enough away to not be a concern. We do have a little girl that loves to hang out around the flock. Our flock is eleven, by the way, with the oldest hen being 18 weeks. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

cptbahama

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I've never had an EE(Americauna) rooster, but I'm sure that just like any other breed, there are good ones and bad ones.
    He is just coming of the age that he may "try" you. The first time he drops a wing on you, your daughter, wife, etc., make sure he knows that ain't happening. Water hose, side of the foot, backhand...like that.
    Roosters are roosters and there really is no way to temper them, in my opinion. They are what they are. While I love mine, they are here to do a job, not be my friend. As long as they respect the fact that I won't tolerate foolishness out of them, I don't care if they are friendly or not.
    They are an asset in that they are great for flock protection/warning system for your girls.
    As far as eggs go, same with or without a rooster. If a hen goes broody, though, and you don't want chicks, pull the eggs she is sitting on.
    All that said, I would not be without a rooster or two in my flock.
    The good definitely outweighs the bad.

3. cptbahama

cptbahama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    augusta, georgia
    ok easttxchick, thanks for your input.

do all roosters crow equally loud and often?

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:The short answer is yes. They all crow and it doesn't matter what time of day or night it is.
    You get used to it and don't even hear it anymore.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

The second one of my 4 month old cockerels just crowed for the first time about an hour ago. Not so much a crow as a yodel [​IMG]

I don't think I even hear the roosters crowing anymore unless I am right there by their coop (as was the case with the yodeler). My brain long ago tuned it out. Let one of my boys make the alarm sound though and I'm out there in a heartbeat. Like easttx, I won't have flocks without roos.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:[​IMG]

The second one of my 4 month old cockerels just crowed for the first time about an hour ago. Not so much a crow as a yodel [​IMG]

I don't think I even hear the roosters crowing anymore unless I am right there by their coop (as was the case with the yodeler). My brain long ago tuned it out. Let one of my boys make the alarm sound though and I'm out there in a heartbeat. Like easttx, I won't have flocks without roos.

Ditto.

Besides the obvious benefits of a rooster with a flock, there is also that sheer beauty of seeing their gorgeous plumage. And when a rooster is on guard duty and in that regal stance, oh my goodness, but my heart swells with the sight!

My dominant rooster is an EE. Carl is such a gorgeous fellow and an absolutely great flock Boss.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  7. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:The short answer is yes. They all crow and it doesn't matter what time of day or night it is.
    You get used to it and don't even hear it anymore.

But not really. They don't all crow the same. Some are more Jose Carerras than SpongeBobSquarePants. Some have lovely fog horns, some squeal so pitchy your brain will bleed. Do you have YouTube access? check out roosters crowing. And some don't crow very often, which can be a big disappointment.

Ever since I saw the Pretty Rooster contest here on BYC, I've been wanting one of those GORGEOUS EE roos. You are SO lucky! [​IMG]

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Some crow a LOT, all throughout the day, some crow just a little throughout the day. My d'uccle mostly crows in the mornings (starting by 5:30), and maybe a few times through the day, but not a lot. I currently have a silkie cockerel who will crow a little in the mornings, and a little in the evenings. They crow very differently too, as was mentioned already. Some have three syllables, some four, some five, different tones and volumes. I saw "yodel" mentioned earlier...lol - that's my silkie.
    I hope that your rooster ends up a good one [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by