Thinking about letting them free range this evening

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flyin-lowe, Mar 25, 2016.

1. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    Is there a recommended number of days chickens should be confined to a coop and run before letting them free range? My pullets (approximately 20 weeks old) have been here now for 3 weeks. The first week or so they would not come out of the coop hardly at all. Now they spend more and more time in there run. I don't plan on free ranging all the time but would like to let them out for a few hours from time to time when I am home in the evenings. I am guessing at this point they won't wander off too far and will know where their coop is. Any reason not to let them out some this evening or should I give them more time?

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    You can let them out by now. By 20 weeks they should be almost full grown. I lost most of my hens to my farm cats because I let them outside too early but almost 7 months should be fine.

3. chixcoop

chixcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2015
    Western Mass
    3 weeks is more than enough, and at 20 weeks old they will know where home is. When I first let my chickens out to free range, I thought they would be making long hikes far from the coop but in reality they only were at max 100 yards from the coop. I would try and let them out at 1 hour before sun set. Unless they're really outgoing they probably will only stay within >30 feet of the coop. Hey, mine didn't even leave the run when I first opened the door!

4. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    I let them out and about 20 minutes later I had to leave so instead of trusting they would find their way back I got out the treats and they followed me back in and I closed them back up. That was their first taste of freedom ever and this morning as soon as I walked outside they came a running, hoping to get out to the yard again. If I get home before dark this evening they can take off again.

5. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    They do love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by