Thinking about ordering myself an incubator, any suggestions?

Chris Herzog

Songster
8 Years
Oct 16, 2011
Covington
Alright guys, I'm thinking about taking the plunge and ordering myself an incubator. I really wanted to make one over the winter but I have the itch to just order one and make a nice one later on down the road. I'm not going to be doing a ton of eggs just maybe 25 or 30 every now and then. Does any one incubator out there work better then the rest? What would you suggest for the first time user?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Quote:
Umm, I think we are afraid to share with any ideas, since you said that you would only be only be incubating "some." Because we all know how it starts.
tongue.png
And, we don't want to be in trouble for starting something here, now do we guys/gals?
jumpy.gif

Ok, I'll start with the sharing. I love the 1588 hova. Preset, ready to go. For chickens. Can set for ducks, and quial eggs, when you decide you want to try something else. Great for beginners, not as expensive as the brinsea, which is also good for beginners. Good luck, let us know what you get..always fun to know what others are using, and is working for them..especially for those that are beginning also.
frow.gif

I borrowed a Brinsea Eco 20 for my first hatch, no complaints. I did very well considering my inexperience. 10 out of 13, I hand turned 3x per day.

Most of my friends recommend the Genesis though. But I've never used one.

The Brinsea company is also having a sale on all their stuff through December, ordered me the little Brinsea Mini Advance, I only want to hatch a few at a time. And I'm waiting on Belgiam d'Anvers eggs now, gonna hatch 12 of those.
There's all kinds of good advice on here, hope you do good with whatever kind you get! Oh, and also, if you are on facebook Brinsea is too, and every month they put out a code on facebook for a 10 percent discount and it is good on their sale stuff too. So it's double savings! Hope this helps.
LauraLee

Well I bit the bullet and ordered the 1588 Hova deluxe combo kit with the thermometer that has the remote probe on it from Incubator Warehouse. I guess I’m going to be needing a larger coop now!!! lol!!!

Thanks guys for the input,
Chris

Quote:
oooh, the 1588 hova delux, nice choice..you will do great, especially if you find some fertile eggs nearby. Shipped eggs are always a worry, but I've had some really good results with shipped eggs..and some not so good, but it didn't stop me, I just hatched some Silver Laced Wyondottes, 8 out of 10 in my hova.
Yep, get a nice size coop.
smile.png
You will have a hard time getting rid of any of those babies you hatch.

I use a Brinsea 20 Eco with the automatic turner. I have 2 so I can use one as a hatcher. That cuts down on the amount of fluff that can get up into the thermometer area. I've had mine for two years and they work great!

I don't know much about the Brinsea incubators. I have an LG and a couple of Hova-Bators. I incubate in a cabinet incubator and use the tabletops as hatchers. The Hova-Bators are better at holding the humidity where I want it. The people who do buy Brinsea's do like them a lot. It really depends on what you want to spend, how many eggs you want to hatch and if you want a turner or not, a thermometer/hygrometer for temperature and humidity. Once you start hatching you will probably become addicted like many of us are, so my advice to you would be get the largest incubator you can afford. You may only want to hatch 25 or30 eggs now but just like a Lay's potato chip, "you can't eat just one". The same principle applies to hatching, once you do your first hatch you will probably want to do more... I love hatching.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom