Thinking about raising a few quail.

Lunar Ice

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
Mocksville, NC
Right now we have chickens and peafowl but I'm interested in maybe getting a few quail. I'm a new "registered" member, but I frequent this forum quite a bit and have for some time because it's such a great resource!

One thing I do want to know though, that I haven't seen any topics about....is, how are quail in relation to hardiness? Do they do well in winter or do they require a little more care? Are some breeds better suited to enduring ice and cold than others?

Also -- and this is JUST out of curiousity, do quail eggs really taste any different than a chicken egg? =P

Quail are pretty hardy. Most species of quail, except Buttons and the most exotic of quail can withstand very cold winter temps. However they will need proper housing to get them thru winter. They will need a coop or enclosed pen of some sort that is completely wind, snow and rain proof. No open ceilings, floors, walls of any kind other than ventilation in the roof. So this means build them a coop that they can go into, and if you live in a very cold climate, a coop with a door you can close them in at night. A solid floor you can put bedding in is helpful on those cold winter nights and no cracks or drafts allowed. As long as they can get COMPLETELY out of the wind and moisture, they will do just fine. If it gets below zero you can add heat lamps to get them thru till the temp comes back above zero.

As far as how the eggs taste, some folks will tell you they taste better than chicken eggs and some say they can't tell the difference. If they are on a good diet, are happy little quail and well cared for, they will taste fantastic!
smile.png

Thank you.
smile.png

I think the button quail are so adorable...but I'm planning on starting with pharaoh first and seeing how we like them. Soon as my incubator is empty I think I will try to snag a dozen or two and try my luck. Hatching is becoming a little....addictive.

So I'm curious (This may be a dumb question but I don't know to much about this) could you keep chicken's and a quail or two in the same coop ? Or do they not get along?

You could keep them in the same coop but it's not recommended as chickens can pass on mycoplasmas and diseases to the quail. Better to keep them separate
smile.png

Quote:
They might get along, but even if they do there is a possible disease transfer. Some people say it works, but others have seen it not go so well. I don't and will not keep them together.

This doesn't answer your hardiness question Lunar Ice. But i have raised chickens just about my entire life and i'm switching over to quail. And they are very easy to raise. If you can handle chickens, you can handle quail.

Back
Top Bottom