Thinking about raising Conturnix Quail .

Discussion in 'Quail' started by shawn54, Mar 1, 2016.

1. shawn54

shawn54 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    Hastings Pa
    I'm interested in raising quail and was wondering how long after starting to lay before you get eggs suitable for hatching.

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

2 weeks after continuous production begins.

3. shawn54

Feb 9, 2016
    Hastings Pa
    Do the males mature at same time as females. Reason for the questions I can't seem to find adult birds in my area so I was thinking of getting eggs from 2 different sources and putt males from on with females from other to start.

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Coturnix genetics arent that sensitive. You can just get eggs from one source, hatch them, and make up your breeding groups. But yes they do mature at the same time. If you raise them separate youll have to integrate the birds together before they can be in the same cage.

5. shawn54

Feb 9, 2016
    Hastings Pa
    That makes it a lot simpler then I am in the process of finishing my bator will test run on some local chicken eggs and hopefully order some quail. I read that chickens and quail don't mix any idea how far to keep them apart.

Thanks for information
    Shawn

6. shawn54

Feb 9, 2016
    Hastings Pa
    I only have chickens for a shot time 4-h projects but do have them within 100 yards of property.

7. Twoandhelp

Twoandhelp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    Look in dc3085's signature- there's a link about chickens that might be helpful. I don't have chickens, but I would think that if your quail are off the ground, just keep the chickens out of their general vicinity. Ensure quail can't get to chicken poop for sure.

8. shawn54

Feb 9, 2016
    Hastings Pa
    Looking back at my post boy did I foul up that spelling not sure if it was me or spell check.

9. Em Ty

Em Ty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    St. Clements, ON
    I have both on a small property. I wash my hands after visiting the chickens, but that's it. Some people have had issues, some actually raise and house them together. I'm really not sure where I stand on the issue.

10. shawn54

Feb 9, 2016
    Hastings Pa
    The chickens will be about 100+ yards away on my grandparents property I will just use common sense when handling. Thanks for input. I'm Probably making more of this than it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by