thinking about raising ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Zigapor, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Zigapor

Zigapor Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2012
    ON
    hey there duck people!

Today we got the ok from our township for the raising of livestock, including poultry. We have researched the heck out of chickens, but then it dawned on me, why not get ducks too???!!!!

I have a few questions. Are ducks complicated? Can they live alongside chickens? Do they need a seperate house? Will they coexist in the same yard? How are their eggs? Are they relatively easy to care for? How would they do in a cold canadian winter? Is one breed better than the other?

There are plenty of ducks for sale locally, but I have so many questions before i venture into the wonderful world of ducks :)

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Welcome to the duck section [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Welcome, Zigapor!

Ditto what Kevin565 said.

Be warned . . . ducks have a very interesting effect on some of us. We start to really love the little critters. sigh. They can change lives (for the better). They make it difficult to stay in a bad mood. Some of them shed cuteness and sweetness all over the yard, in addition to molt feathers and poop.

We start taking videos and photo's of them, and start uploading them to public places like BYC and other web sites. We write blogs about them. We develop recipes for food for them. We make clothes for them. They get their own medicine cabinets, their own pools. We sweat bullets while their eggs are incubating. We name them after presidents, movie stars, or car parts. . . .[​IMG]

4. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Amiga, how true!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

5. Zigapor

Sep 9, 2012
    ON
    bwahahahaha, you guys are too funny!

I'm thinking eggs, oh and pets... not big on eating my animals though ;) (i'm cool if you do, just not for me)

now.. is there anything i should know concerning ducks and small children? I'm talking like diseases or anything of the sort...

and one last question (well, for now, i'm sure i'll come up with a million more) do you think they would have a problem with cats? we have a few outside barn cats that love to chow down on mice, ducks will chase them off though, right? My cats like to think they are tough, but really they are chickens, lol, i quack myself up!

6. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009

7. Zigapor

Sep 9, 2012
    ON
    i am amazed at how fast I get replies on this site, crazy cool!

thanks guys, i appreciate all your help, and look forward to asking you a gazillion more questions in near future :)

8. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    We'll be glad to answer them all [​IMG]

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The one thing I would note about ducks and small children is based on my own ducks, when they were a few weeks old trying to help me out a time or two by nabbing those caterpillars that were sitting just above my eyes (those would be my eyebrows). And once, Zehn stole a kiss, pulling my lower lip. Ptew! So some ducks get a little smoochy sometimes if faces are too close to theirs. Now that the ducks are grown up, they don't make any moves like that any more. But I try to keep little human faces a couple of feet away from little duckie faces to be on the safe side.

Again, ditto Kevin565, if people and animals are kept healthy, their environment is kept healthy, I don't see how there could be a problem. I make sure kids wash hands after being around the ducks, just to make sure. Oh, and be careful with duck legs. They are easily hurt, and sometimes little people grab them, or put the ducks down from a height that can injure the ducks.

Two of my cats are afraid of the ducks, one wishes she could be part of the flock. If a duck charges at her, she just hunkers down and squints, though a few times she has hissed back when Sechs hissed at her first. And I have had to warn the ducks off from grabbing the big caterpillar on the cat's behind (also known as a tail).

10. Zigapor

Sep 9, 2012
    ON
    ok great! my kids are small, but they aren't _that_ small, as in 10, 8, 6 and almost 4, but they have been around animals their whole lives, and we used to foster orphaned kittens for years, so they are used to having to be gentle, and understand that sometimes animals hurt you by no fault of their own :)

I thought of another question... I live in Canada, about half way between Toronto and Ottawa. It gets cold here in the winter, like, -40C with the wind chill cold! (not often, maybe a handful of times a season, but it still happens)... are there precautions I should take to keep my ducks warm?

They will be housed in a converted tractor shed that has three walls and a roof. We will be adding a fourth wall, sort of, and a door. The ground is poured concrete, I'm assuming they will need a better surface? The roof itself is solid, but there are gaps between it and the walls, should those be closed up, or kept for ventilation (can I post pics in here? it would be easier to explain with pics) Also, it has no running water or electricity (yet, will add if needed). DO you think solar panels would bring in enough juice to add a heat lamp (if needed) and to run a heated water area?

Do ducks need boxes for laying like chickens do? (I suppose I could google this stuff, but I rather get my info from people i know actually own ducks, lol)

I was informed earlier that my chickens may need a chicken tractor... do ducks need duck tractors?

How big of a kiddie pool do they like? How frequently does the water need changed? Will they try to get to our small koi pond? Can koi hurt them? can they hurt the koi? Should I just fence off the fish?

Are there special duck vets or are farm vets generally knowledgeable of ducks? do they even need a vet? Do ducks require shots? (i'm not the biggest fan of vaccines but will do if needed)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by