cluckmecoop7

💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
I am considering raising Silkies in the near future. This would be my first time with the breed. I’m wondering if they have any special needs or requirements, especially for a Maine winter.

Thank you.

As long as they have a coop or something similar to go in to get out of the rain, wind, and snow they will be fine. Have you raised other breeds? Since they are not able to fly well, roosts and nests boxes need to be lower. My silkie roosts are only about 18 inches off the ground. You also need to be prepared for what to do with broodies. It is not unusual for silkies to go broody after laying a dozen eggs. My Silkies are laying eggs during these short days. Most of my standard hens are not.

As long as they have a coop or something similar to go in to get out of the rain, wind, and snow they will be fine. Have you raised other breeds? Since they are not able to fly well, roosts and nests boxes need to be lower. My silkie roosts are only about 18 inches off the ground. You also need to be prepared for what to do with broodies. It is not unusual for silkies to go broody after laying a dozen eggs. My Silkies are laying eggs during these short days. Most of my standard hens are not.
Thank you for the information.
Yes, I have 4 years worth of chicken keeping experience and have raised dozens of chicks - multiple breeds.

Mine are out and about, very hardy little things! They free range with the rest of the flock and no issues with snow, bullying, etc. Very good little layers and so adorable

D672CA1F-AC1C-4B79-B7E8-5FF98DCB0716.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom