1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thinking about starting a chicken business. HELP

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by boykin2010, May 19, 2011.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I have recently thought about starting a chicken business and maybe getting 10 or so different breeds and selling hatching eggs and chicks. I have some questions for yall to answer before i get serious about this.
    What does NPIP certified mean? Can you ship eggs and chicks legally without being NPIP certified? How do you get NPIP certified? How much does it cost?
    Before shipping eggs or chicks do you have to buy a certain box to ship them in?

2. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    anybody? Please... I really need to know

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    You don't have to be NPIP certified at the moment, but the laws are changing and you will have to be to even send eggs soon.

For chicks you need a special box.

4. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    can you buy that special box at the post office?
    Can you lead me into a direction to finding out how to become NPIP certified.
    The whole thing is kind of confusing. Can you buy eggs from someone who is NPIP certified and the chicks that hatch be able to become NPIP.
    Are you allowed to keep laying hens that are not NPIP certified in a seperate pen and they dont have to be certified? OR does every bird need to be checked for all the diseases and stuff.

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I'm not certified. Was suppose to take car of that last summer but was an awful summer.

All have to be certified. They come to your property and test your birds. You can not add birds from non NPIP stock after that. from what I understand.

You can order the boxes, but I ship eggs not chicks, so someone more knowledgable about this will hopefully chime in and give you a lot more help.

Use the search feature also and type in NPIP. There are some threads on here about what you need to do and every state is different.

6. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    ok thank you

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Sorry I wasn't more help.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Shipping non-NPIP birds and eggs depends upon state rules. Some states will not allow you to ship them out. Some states will not allow you to ship them in. A few states also require bird flu testing before the birds can enter their state.

Call the USDA veterinarian and he will know what the different state regulations are for shipping birds.

You apply for NPIP and the inspector comes out and tests your birds and your incubators. You have to file paperwork every time you sell birds or eggs (very easy form). You do not purchase any birds or eggs that are not NPIP or everybody gets tested all over again.

The shipping boxes you buy on-line. There are many companies that sell them.

In some states the NPIP and testing are free. In some states there is a small fee. You can find the information for your specific state on-line. NPIP is a federal program but it is administrated by the individual states.

9. putnhere

putnhere New Egg

Dec 29, 2010
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by