Thinking about switching to ducks to raise

Alex the Chicken

Chirping
Nov 29, 2021
Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
I'm going to raise some new birdies soon, and I've been doing some research and my friend recommends me to get ducks instead. I heard they can live a long time. So I'm planning in raising call ducks. But there's a few things I need to know. Can one single call duck live alone? Or does he have to have a friend? And next can 2 males live together? I don't like to eat eggs and like the colours of males so I'd like to know if I can, my grandparents don't own any other ducks so no females, all males. Thanks!

@Overo Mare and @Isaac 0 own Calls.

You need at least two ducks, but three or more is better incase something happens to one. If you want to keep both drakes (males) and hens (females) together, you have to have at least 3-4 hens per drake to avoid over-mating.
Alternatively, you could keep a bachelor flock (all drakes), which typically works best if they're all raised together. Generally speaking though, multiple drakes can get along great when there are no females around (or plenty enough for them to "spread their love").

If you already have chickens though, be aware that drakes mating them can hurt the hens. So be sure to supervise, and be prepared to have to separate or rehome if they cause issues.

Ducks are amazing, but they are extremely messy and can be very loud (especially Call ducks). They're going to need lots of water, which they will make a huge mess of, and do best with something like a kiddy pool to swim in.

They're quite different from chickens in many ways, but when cared for properly they can be very entertaining and fun pets.

I'm going to raise some new birdies soon, and I've been doing some research and my friend recommends me to get ducks instead. I heard they can live a long time. So I'm planning in raising call ducks. But there's a few things I need to know. Can one single call duck live alone? Or does he have to have a friend? And next can 2 males live together? I don't like to eat eggs and like the colours of males so I'd like to know if I can, my grandparents don't own any other ducks so no females, all males. Thanks!
1 better emotionally for them to have a friend
2 drakes get along great without females or even with them I have 2drakes and 12 females and they get along great

If your doing drakes only, see if you can find some that were hatch Mates and they'll get along better.

Last edited:
Okay thanks! I'll be getting 2 as 3 is going to be a bit of a hassle, and yes I will be buying them as ducklings rather than adults. Also i won't be needing eggs or meat and the chickens are in my grandparent's farm which is not in the house. I have a suitable cage and I think I can keep them indoors so they will be safe from potential predators. Since Alex disappeared I probably wouldn't be keeping my birds outside the house anytime soon.
Oh and I'm currently meeting my maternal grandparents in Penang and I won't be returning to Sabah until May probably.

1. Like everyone said above… 3 or more is best!!
2. they are incredibly and I do mean incredibly messy!!!!!!!!
3. Make sure you can have them where you live because they are very noisy
4.I adore my ducks but they are much much much more work then chickens.

Back
Top Bottom