1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thinking about writing software program...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by djackjr, Nov 18, 2008.

1. djackjr

djackjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    Ok I need a list of the day to day things you do when hatching eggs. things like turning the eggs setting humidity to ?? on day ?? etc etc. I am going to write a software program to keep track of the day to day things that need to be done. So I can check them off. It will have bells and whistles to alert me if I forgot to do something. Hmm probably have bugs too, don't all programs [​IMG]
    wait then I can send it to people to beta test(that helps get rid of the bugs)..... [​IMG]

2. robbobbin

robbobbin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2007
    Sounds like a pretty simple program-probably just need to write yourself a script to popup a reminder.

3. djackjr

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    true but then sometimes I over do it with graphics and sound.....I have program now that tells me its time for my blood pressure in annoying tone of voice...almost threw my pills at the screen last night [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  4. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    Forgive me but I don't get the idea at all. For me having chickens is a natural back to nature way of life. I heat the coop/barn with a wood stove when it's too cold and use a oil lantern to check on them at night. Where do computers fit into this?

5. djackjr

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    I like tracking things, and since I am going to start hatching my own chicks I like to do it on the computer as far as tracking turning the eggs, checking humidity and temp, I may use wireless technology so the temp and humidity are on my screen, I am a computer programmer in gaming industry so I like to use the computer alot. The chickens are for egg consumption and meat, it's a start to getting back to nature along with my vegatable gardens etc.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  6. VettekLisa

VettekLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    Hale, Missouri
    That's not a bad idea, djackjr.
    I'm looking for an easy program to keep track of where I got what eggs, who
    hatched from what batch, and who was bred to who. I tried that ZooEasy
    program, and the demo was just useless to me. Way too confusing and really
    made for businesses.

7. djackjr

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    long term want to write an education program on raising chickens that would be fun for kids and adults. That is a long term project if I do it outside my normal job....

8. rizq

rizq Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    Quote:I really like the idea of your program ... especially the part about the temp and humidity being on your screen! I am at my computer all day (work from home on the comp) and that would be so handy! It would really reduce my trips to my bedroom to check on things ... I don't trust my incubators and am paranoid about temp fluctuations. Keep us posted as to your progress and how it works [​IMG]

It would be great, if it's possible, to have a program where you can set your own parameters as temperature varies from still to forced air and humidity varies depending on season, location, and type of eggs (I think). Also, the day you change humidity, stop turning, and don't touch the bator (for me, that would need to be constantly blinking on the screen ... I have a hard time with that sometimes) varies depending on the type of egg set. If you are planning to market your program, versatility would be a huge plus. Also would be a plus if the program could be set to monitor multiple incubators for those of us who are hardest hit by this illness [​IMG]

I would love to be a tester [​IMG]

9. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

Good idea. I think it would be good to also keep track of costs vs benefits. Inventory meds, feed, etc.

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I am working on a large incubator an was looking at this( http://www.pc-control.co.uk/wasp_info.htm ) to computer cotrol it. Useing that box, a thermoresister an a humidity censer to kick on a heat element and a water agitation sistem.
    Might be useful for your project.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by