thinking bout selling my paint

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by txredneckmedic, Jul 27, 2010.

1. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    I have a 7 year old paint mare that im thinking bout selling. She is bout 14.2 hands tall and is very gentle. I have ridden her many times and my kids have ridden on her while i lead her around. She is blind in one eye and does have a small hernia that the vet is not worried about. I really dont want to get rid of her but now i have 5 horses.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Aww i think you should keep her [​IMG] Shes a special needs horse [​IMG]

3. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    The horse market is so bad, you won't get much for her. It is sad, but true.

I have a mare that was blind in one eye and she was used by a handicapped riding school until she lost sight in her other eye. I got her back, and she just stays here. She is an awesome broodmare, but with no market for foals, I haven't been breeding her.

If you need to just find her a home, you could check with different riding facilities. I know the Girl Scouts Equestrian camps take horses. You might try riding schools, too.

Jean

4. txredneckmedic

Apr 20, 2009
    i know i wont get much for her. only reason im selling her is my mare just had a baby last night and my wife decided we are keeping the foal. 5 mouths is expensive

5. Anguissette

Anguissette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Eastern NC
    If you do decide to part with her please don't use craigslist, the killbuyers haunt that place and pose as good homes for your beloved pet. *shudders*

6. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    I have to add my 2 cents.

I think you owe it to her to keep her. she has a small issue ( ther hernia) but the blindness will make her harder to place.

If she doesnt work with the new people theres a chance they'll call you but more than likely she'll end up at auction or on CL.

i think if you like her and she's as good as you say you either make it work or you sell the baby. babies are not guaranteed to work out for you 3 years from now when started.

Please dont rebreed your mare in this equine economy.

7. txredneckmedic

Apr 20, 2009
    hunter....first off i will breed my horses as i feel fit. It is cause of the beurocrats that got rid of the kill stations that the equine economy is in the situation it is in. So dont come preaching to me. Secondly the only reason I got this mare was cuz she was pregnant and emaciated and I rescued her. I payed a pretty penny also just to get her out of the situation she was in.

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    She's a lovely little hoss with a nice color pattern. You might want to contact equine rescues who will post an add for you. They are always dealing with horses who are servicable but have a minor handicaps. You won't get much for her but they may help you find a good home for her.

9. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Just a quick warning to reiterate what others have said. With any health issues and the horse market now you may have people offering you price by the pound. So many horses right now are sent to slaughter auctions because of the market.

If you do need to rehome her I would donate her to a handicap riding school or something of that nature [​IMG] pay it forward!

10. txredneckmedic

Apr 20, 2009
    hell people im only asking $400....yall act like im asking alot for her. I bought her a year or so ago as she was in bad shape and rode her a bit and put weight back on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by