thinking of a guard animal any ideas?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by monarc23, Apr 29, 2009.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Hi all!!!

I have pretty pricey birds I will be raising and am already raising out in our backyard fenced in. However redtailed hawks are always scoping out my poor Marans as they try to enjoy being outside and are scared in their shelters constantly through out the day by the swooping low Redtails....also the neighbors dog has been getting loose a lot lately and I fear that he's going to try to dig under the fence one of these days after my birds.

I cannot and will not put a dog up there, I'm happy with the one dog I do have (that would eat my birds if allowed lol) and plus I rent from my parents so they'd just plainly say no to the idea of me wanting another dog esp one outside. So a livestock dog is out of the question.

I was thinking about a Llama, but then I was concerend that it would eat the grass bare in there? The fence is about 50 ft long by 25ft wide area enclosed is that too small for a llama? Will one turn that into a mud pit?

Any other critter options that may atleast deter hawks?

I AM working on hatching some turkeys they seem to be good small snake eaters lol, and maybe their big size alone will keep hawks away but I am unsure and just want some oppinons ideas anything?

My marans ARE in a part of the fence that is netted on the top however if a redtailed hits it hard enough I could see it breaking it and as of right now I dont have the $ for major netting so I'm wondering about other options. I read about putting an owl model out with a moving head... any insight on if this really works?

We plan to put up electric line around the fence for the neigbors dog to encounter... but the hawks I am unsure what to do here... nightly predators are also a stress...other than live traps I'm not willing to put other traps out there because i'd feel horrible catching my moms cat or something of that sort.

Any thoughts on a guard animal etc? Would love a potbelly but two things stop that...1. getting that past my parents haha, and 2. they'd for sure destroy the ground LOL. My hubby would love a goat again and I thought about it but I dont think it would be happy by itself and I dont want to raise goats again so.... any ideas? LOL

thanks

2. xadika

xadika Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  3. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:har har and eat everything including me if it grabs ahold of me [​IMG]

*i can imagine me running out the gate screaming with a grumpy blubbery black and white faced grump charging me and snarling LOL hey they can fight a bear and a wolf off a kill im not messin with them! LOL! [​IMG]

4. farmgirljen

farmgirljen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Corvallis Oregon
    I have not lost a single bird since getting a llama- I lost 37 birds in one night at one point...Anyway- since having my llama, have not had any problems at all. Llamas are relatively easy to care for, an do not create a huge muddy mess- They have toes that help keep them from sinking into the mud, unlike a horse that makes big holes...they do require a basic shelter(mine is attached to the chicken run) an they can eat hay and grain like any other livestock- they will eat the grass own, along with any weeds that would crop up- but they are easy keepers... If you don't want to get a llama just yet you could try those shiny strips that blueberry farmers hang from their trees- they are long and thin, and the wind blows them and the birds seem to be scared of them... or try a scare crow...but personally- I would go for a llama!

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:thank you for this info. [​IMG] I see them every now and then for reasonable prices $300 I'd really like to get one and not only have it for livestock protection but maybe even a pack hiking buddy [​IMG] I'm going to look more into them again thanks also thank you about the shiney things i was thinking along the lines of something shiney but was unsure what I'll be looking into those as well [​IMG]

6. aaronzclark

aaronzclark Chillin' With My Peeps

you are saying you can't get a guard dog but you can get a lama lol I am not sure how a lama would protect poultry. other then a LGD I have never heard of anything else protecting poultry I have always used a LGD

7. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Llamas kick and stomp and spit (and bite?) to protect their "herd" youtube it.

8. aaronzclark

aaronzclark Chillin' With My Peeps

I know I have had many Llamas just never thought to let them protect my poultry it might work maybe I should get me another and try hehe

9. scarter

scarter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Roberts, WI
    If you can't afford poultry netting don't get a llama. They will eat any and all grass you have and you have to pay for hay, minerals, monthy wormer, yearly vaccines and vetting, nail clippers etc. Then with the pack animals you have to get the specialty pack holder so you won't damage their backs etc. Also it's never suggested to get one llama you need at least two for a healthy llama. You do hear some people saying they only have one llama or alpaca but please read the literature from llama associations. Storey's has a good book for llama raising.

I'd go for pushing the Guard dog on your parents. Either way an animal seems more money than the netting for your run. I've just paid for vaccines and wormer and flea and tick prevention for our new 5 month old puppy. Boy is she expensive but no more than our llamas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by