thinking of a litter change for the coop, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by confusedturtle, Jun 13, 2011.

1. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I am currently using Wheat hay and have been since we got our girls almost a month ago. I change it out every 2-3 days because I begin to notice the poopy smell and we start getting flies. What do you use and why do you prefer it? I have been considering changing over to sand but I was curious about what type of sand you use, what does & doesn't work and what might not be good for the girls? I live near the beach so sand is plentiful but I thought I saw somewhere that salty sand is not good for the girls. What type of maintenance is required for the sand method? Also (sorry for playing 20 questions here) what exactly is the deep littler method and how do you do it? Thanks, any and all suggestions greatly appreciated [​IMG]

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

We are using equine pellets now but when we move into the run, we're switching to sand. We'll be using construction sand. From what I've read you can just scoop out the individual poops w/ a cat litter scooper every day or however often.

3. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Thats what Im hoping for is to sift it daily with a cat scoop or something. My neighbor is fine with us having chickens as long as there is no smell, so I will do almost anything to make sure it doesn't smell. We have a mobile style coop so that will help keep the run clean too. Thanks [​IMG]

4. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    We have always used pine shavings and I really like them -- keeps down the smell and easy to scoop poop out of. Also, then goes fine into the compost. Shavings also keep things dry for the most part.
    For flies, I have used a vanilla scented car freshener (got the idea here at BYC) and hung it in the coop. Kept the flies away for me.

5. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Oh wow a vanilla scented car freshener helps to get rid of the flies, thats awesome! I will go buy some tomorrow. I was reluctant to try the sand as litter because I have a bad back and I was afraid the weight of it would be much for me. My back goes out a couple times a year and when it does Im down for a week, a week is a long time for that poop to be in there without cleaning. Where do you find pine shavings? I would think the pine shavings would be lighter than the sand. I am going to check into the equine pellets as well, Iam new to chicken-ing so I want to find out as much as I can so i can give my girls the best that I can. Thank you [​IMG]

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Pine shavings. Should be available at virtually any feed store. Do not use cedar shavings.

JJ

7. MiddleChild

MiddleChild Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Just read a blurb on the Mother Earth News daily e-mail that suggests using coffee chaff: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Happ...mpaign=SLCS&utm_source=iPost&utm_medium=email

It says it behaves rather like clumping cat litter. If it also smells like coffee I'd be in heaven! I looked for local coffee roasters - in the Boston Metrowest area there are more than a dozen! Haven't called them yet but it sounds like something worth exploring.
    [​IMG] <-- too much caffeine...

8. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Thank you, I am googling feed stores in my area and will be shopping for some tomorrow. Atleast I can use what is left of my hay in my planter boxes, Im sure it'd make great mulch [​IMG]

9. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    Coffee chaff? I had to google it to find out for sure what it was and I think I found the article you were talking about, that sounds awesome! And it said it does smell like coffee [​IMG] I'll be in heaven my chickens might have to make me move out [​IMG] I am going to start looking into where to get this from, I want to use it in my coop, compost and planters, Im so excited. Thank you so much for suggesting this [​IMG]

10. MiddleChild

MiddleChild Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Confused Turtle: If you do find some and try it please let me know how it goes. According to the article there isn't really any downside - I'll use all that hay as garden mulch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by