thinking of an electric fence///

luvemchickens

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
I am totally distraught over my loses of 6 hens over the last few days. My chickens for the last 2 years have been free range or we liken to say free forest birds but unfortunately over the course of the last 2 days something has been hauling them off and killing them in close proximity of the home. The first day only a couple of feathers and the second day feathers every where! To begin with we have never had issues with ANYTHING ATTACKING THEM. The first incident occurred around dusk and we suspect the grandson in his haste didn't get them locked up in their coup. With summer hours in Northern Maine the chickens like to take their time going into their secured coup so if you do not count you could go missing a some which we think happened and suspect some predator got them. The next night we made sure the girls were all locked in....no problem . I let my hens out about 8:30 am the next morning all was well and they were free ranging, My husband called to my attention the chickens were way out front near our neighbors horse coral and I assured him they go out that far. I went out front and tossed some left overs around 10 am and all the girls were there. About 10:30 I saw a profusion of feathers and screamed and just broke down and cried for my most precious Orpington/Favorell mix, Sabina was killed...I just died, then I noticed 2 others were missing. What hunts in the day like that? We quickly went to town and got fencing and posts and put a run in. We anchored the bottom with heavy rocks but want to run a hot wire fence on the bottom any suggestions and does anyone know what the predator might be. Our neighbors dog does like to chase and catch the chickens and has plucked feathers but hasn't killed any or at least we don't think the dog has but again it was daytime when the second attack occurred....any thoughts most predators attack dusk and dawn....any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dogs and cats, hawks, eagles maybe even a hungry owl hunt in the day. you could get one of those outide cameras and set it up just to see who is entering your yard the cameras aren't that expensive

Last edited:
Thanks I was thinking of that, a wildlife camera, we did put a motion detector light on the coop...we are so terribly sad and the poor chickens do not know what to think of being corraled they look oh so sad too. Just wished I knew what it was preying on my chickens!

We live in 'predator land.' It could be dogs, but I'll bet more on raccoons, fox and coyotes during the day. If the carcass is completely missing, it could be an overhead friend, like an eagle, hawks or owls.

I'd get a good hot electric fencer right away. Put a lid on the run, and charge it at least overnight. It won't take too long to send a message that 'these chicks bite!'

Otherwise, you're just playing cat and mouse with the predators - and they won't give up. They will if you sting 'em on the nose, though.

Best luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom